Sign in to follow this  
Locc

Suggested Updates for bringing HIGHRISK back to HIGHRISK.!!!! <3 It's what we signed up for in beta it's what we deserve.

Title isn't meant to bash anyone and I'm sure many will flame/talk shit but in all honesty if you guys want us to get back to HIGH RISK and where we were in beta this is what we need to happen, I know it's hard in today's reality and social media but the best thing to do is either just say you support or don't and move forward not flame suggest more changes and what not let's get support for some changes and then discuss how we can implement and make minor changes!!!!.

START HERE---->

So I've debated posting something on the forums for a long time, a lot know who I am a lot don't I have friends and I have enemies, all the less that doesn't matter in this post I've been here since beta around the end of 2016. I've seen many stories many players make there cases and demands and many others sit silently and watch the world burn with help from others or no help at all.

There have been a series of unfortunate events that have inevitably hindered everyone's experience on this marvelous creation of a PVP playground that has been created in what was once a clear vision and process to manipulate the world of Azeroth into a battleground of unforeseen potential of chaos and beauty. While there have been ups and downs as there are with every game there seems to be a stagnant common every few months "A Reason To Play". While it is hard in every game to make continuous play something of a norm for those "HARDCORE" players there are quite a few aspects of a game that keep people logging in even it be a short period of time around the clock. Ascension is so different than any other game out there it takes what is riddled as a GRIND house and combines it with that of a winner take all battle royale in every aspect which tends to create an infinite grind with tons of possibilities at hand and really has a unique basis to create a new Genre of gaming.

Getting back to the point the biggest issue is the clear gap from New/Returning players to Hardcore players(this shouldn't be a thing on such a unique server). a lot of things either go unchanged or unheard or heard and never acted upon although it is a large base of players that have supported this game in numerous ways whether it be cash for donations or streams, and even just play time on PTR or special raids.

#1.Disable Battlegrounds except for the weekends of CTA(Remove AV and just switch between AB/WSG CTA).(Allow for RATED only Arena/Bgs during the week must have a team comp and reward system monthly) No premades on Weekend Must have Created team during the week.

#2. Remove CURRENT Raid loot in open World Except for in Crow's Chest/Invasions/Daily quests(see #3)

#3. Return All Addons that allow for scouting of areas including friends list(Make available on website for all to have not just a few). turn /who back on and make friends list only available if you've spoken to a player or been in a guild with them but turn back on the zone location function!(Searching every zone to find 1 fight in a 2-3 hour span kills interest of playing on this server so much it's not even funny)

#4. Increase latter tier loot in open world drops. Introduce Mats to world loot including but not limited to Herbs, Ores, Cloth, Rune Shards(increased rates to provide a better source of changing/testing builds)

#5. Make Deathtrading a thing of the past and just allow everything to be traded so players have more incentive to farm well Everything.

#6. Implement a rotating random daily quest scenario that has to do with PVP wether it be a King of the Hill, Kill Quest, Healing Quest, Invasion, or Mercenary body count.

#7. Deinstance Dungeons and Raids(except for one specific slot time picked by each guild each week FOR THAT GUILD) this will keep guilds from putting a raid on farm and exploiting the already exploitabl economy with holding hostage all BIS pieces until everyone has what they need further creating a MASSIVE GAP in newcomers, casuals, and hardcore players.

#8. Allow for hardcore versions of 60 content dungeons to be ran for previous raid content gear I.E. AQ20 Drops. We can run Scholomance with something like the BFA weekly settings to obtain BWL gear.
    ***(one of my personal favorite requests) as Dungeons are only viable until you're first day in raid or farming reputation yet they are one of the funnest things to do that don't require 10man teams or more and hours of prep/hours of devotion)***

#9. Reward system for Daily log ins(besides daily quests), (Devs will love this one) 1DP Chests that grant random DP items from the shop anything from 1dp-100dp items. 

#10. Glory system for WORLDPVP that allows for Transmog purchases of Actual IG armor that has a one time transmog use.

#11. Glory system that replaces reputation earned in quests/zones/dungeons for specific recipes with Honor Gained in WPVP!!!!

#12. (REMOVE PORTABLe ALTARS.) REMOVE EXTRACTS/MYSTIC ORBS and Make Re's only obtainable through massive amounts of Forging(the access of easily obtainable re's greatly affects those of a casual player to a hardcore player.)

#13. Unban all previously banned players in a one time grace to return this game to maximum population(with a gear/gold wipe of course)

Yes this is alot to implement and you guys already have your hands full but this is the time to listen to the players and not necessarily the dev team, in the end with no players there are no funds for the dev team, there is no reason for people to log in and therefore there is no game.

First Round of items to implement would be 1-4, second round 5-8, third round 9-12 would allow for a steady progression to get this game back on track as the PVP GODSEND it was when we all started in beta & from what would be the easiest-hardest implementations. 

The main agenda here is to stop the increasingly large gap from casual to hardcore player of ascension(which was the biggest problem on seasonal with the staggered level caps), Give every player an incentive to log in every day(without a huge loss if they don't) and to bring back a normal playing field so newbs,casuals,hardcore, and dearly devoted players can obtain a reason to play.

WE UNDERSTAND YOU HAVE A VISION AND WHAT YOU'D LIKE TO DO BUT THE GAME IS FADING FROM IT'S ORIGINAL INTENTIONS AND WE THE PLAYERS WANT IT BACK! MAKE ASCENSION GREAT AGAIN! 

MAGA!!!!!!!

Most of this sounds great!
There was also this a system back in beta, that would announced when people were killed in world, i would love to see that implemented again! (i think it was call "Lone Wolf")

+1

Just now, Emi said:

There was also this a system back in beta, that would announced when people were killed in world, i would love to see that implemented again! (i think it was call "Lone Wolf")

This!!! Me like this very much!!
Could be so cool to see this again...  Announced who was killede by who and what zone!!! Bring that back plz!

1 hour ago, Tryant said:

This!!! Me like this very much!!
Could be so cool to see this again...  Announced who was killede by who and what zone!!! Bring that back plz!

We could bring this back, but we removed it because of how encumbering it was with an actual playerbase. When we have a substantial amount of players this will be non-stop spam,

1 hour ago, Locc said:

#5. Make Deathtrading a thing of the past and just allow everything to be traded so players have more incentive to farm well Everything.

What items are prohibited and being death-traded now?

13 minutes ago, Solstice said:

What items are prohibited and being death-traded now?

orb shards and anything with a ZG or pvp enchant on it.

2 hours ago, Locc said:

#2. Remove CURRENT Raid loot in open World Except for in Crow's Chest/Invasions/Daily quests(see #3)

Most current raid loot is only introduced after the content has been well cleared, there wasn't much explanation given to this here or in point 3.

2 hours ago, Locc said:

#3. Return All Addons that allow for scouting of areas including friends list(Make available on website for all to have not just a few). turn /who back on and make friends list only available if you've spoken to a player or been in a guild with them but turn back on the zone location function!(Searching every zone to find 1 fight in a 2-3 hour span kills interest of playing on this server so much it's not even funny)

We may re-enable channel views in the future.

2 hours ago, Locc said:

#1.Disable Battlegrounds except for the weekends of CTA(Remove AV and just switch between AB/WSG CTA).(Allow for RATED only Arena/Bgs during the week must have a team comp and reward system monthly) No premades on Weekend Must have Created team during the week.

We've talked about this extensively and ultimately we need to test it in a seasonal realm, the data seems to indicate this might greatly hurt player retention, and that is of course something no one wants. This may be because there isn't enough supplemental content in the world, and if that is the case it would simply have to wait until we can develop more of that stuff out in the world. Ultimately none of that matters when 90% of Laughing Skull players quit before 30. (Doesn't happen on Andorhal) we talk pretty extensively about that in our High-Risk retention post in the developer's corner.

2 hours ago, Locc said:

#7. Deinstance Dungeons and Raids(except for one specific slot time picked by each guild each week FOR THAT GUILD) this will keep guilds from putting a raid on farm and exploiting the already exploitabl economy with holding hostage all BIS pieces until everyone has what they need further creating a MASSIVE GAP in newcomers, casuals, and hardcore players.

The base part of this (de-instancing raids) is really easy to facilitate, it is actually a 5 minute change. However, getting it polished to the standard that would be expected is a several month project, and I think that people would ultimately want us to spend time improving the base game rather than diverting attention from current issues. I suspect it is highly probable we'd see an even bigger gap between new players and veterans if new players didn't have an opportunity to enter their own instances to farm for gear.

1 minute ago, boi said:

Got it! Thanks

I'll look into making enchants not bind items

I understand, that these won't be easy changes but as I stated #1 and #12 are the biggest issues currently. Players having access to every random enchant they need at any point in time really really hurts new and casual players, those that are devoted still playing and have everything on farm have it so easy to stay #1 it's not even funny. 

If we got rid of portable Re tables(yes it would be a pain but DP is generated with a click of a button and applying 25DP to players accounts shouldn't be an issue, they would have to get over a refund to sustain this idea but its 100% worth.) We could then be forced back into the world. Playing into this removing the fact that any player who has played long enough can equip a perfect set of gear over and over kind of defeats the purpose of having a random enchant system. It's supposed to be random for a reason we're supposed to have things to work for and grind for a reason the original setup of the RE system was amazing I believe taking the original system and slightly tweaking it maybe it rolling more specific re's to talents/abilities chosen would be a great Idea this would then leave things to RNG and would cause Gear with specific Re's to be worth more and gear w.o but BIS to not be used as often.

#2 I didn't explain this very well because in all honesty I wasn't sure the terms that needed to be stated in order to get my point across via wow Lingo but I feel that all raid loot should be removed from open world except for Crows/Dailies/Invasions and now that we're at a point of having 3 raids available if we combine #2 with #4(leave Tier 1 in open world, remove Tier 2/2.5 until 2.5 is cleared and add tier 2) adding new loot to the tables and removing gear it would still allow for the concept that was developed when adding raid loot to open world loot.

#3 someone told me earlier word for word-----

im at #3 and  i remember playingbeta
and fucking going to WPL
to kill 1 person
cuz i hated them
shit was fire

Which it was. It was one of the single handed best things I enjoyed about Ascension in Beta.

#1. While I agree it may hurt some retention it's actually not removing BG's and only a handful of players would feel this hurt as in reality Disabling regular Bg's during slow times and allowing for only RATED(Created Teams) would provide a better experience. but no offense I don't know if you've played a BG during downtime but it fucking sucks excuse my french you have lopsided teams and just a mess of ignorance or half afk/naked players against those END game devoted players which is what the entire goal is to increase enjoy-ability from all aspects.  Ranked Teams during the week would ensure when you enter a BG that you are going home with a satisfying BG experience. Then allowing for all BG's and only 2 man premades ont he weekend will add viability to casual/devoted player. I really feel that devoted players who are still here today need to have the experience of real BG's in order to obtain some satisfaction that all the hard work they're putting in is worth it.

#7 Yes while De-instanced dungeons could hurt new players I really don't think it will, it will give them a new experience that they've never seen or dealt with before and that creates an adrenaline rush if you're playing a game and not getting adrenaline rushes you're playing the wrong game. It's very exciting to join something new and creative and well there are ways to make dungeons more rewarding to the point that them being De-Instanced won't really hurt new players. It's something that would require alot of work, Static spawn timers on mobs and bosses would idealy just make them part of the open world with higher risk and higher reward, and let's be honest this is what Laughing skull was supposed to be this is what Ascension is supposed to be nobody signed up to play andorhal when they joined during awakening and ascension beta, they signed up for Hardcore PVP we were all fine with potentially losing half our gear at the possibility of gaining half of someone elses gear there was only a handful of players that complained about that issue and no offense to them but there is andorhal for that(with that being said) I think these changes would affect the vast majority but also excite them as well and draw back new and old players. You should look into making these all a reality and allowing those with the lesser heart to transfer to andorhal.

1 minute ago, Frostbolt/Rank1#LS said:

proud of u aayla ily<3

❤️ sup my broham we need ya back MAGA FOO!

6 hours ago, Locc said:

#4. Increase latter tier loot in open world drops. Introduce Mats to world loot including but not limited to Herbs, Ores, Cloth, Rune Shards(increased rates to provide a better source of changing/testing builds)

This is the best idea you have provided in my opinion. The drop rates are pretty abysmal as it stands, the only people who have any chance of competing are those who have 8-10 hours a day to devote to the game. Much higher drop rates of items(5-10% rather than les than 1%) would naturally decrease the price of gear on the AH, and would help to remove the barrier of entrance for new players. That is the big thing holding the server back, new players leave the moment the realize they have to no-life the game in order to compete(some may disagree, but they just removed the honor vendors so you HAVE to go out and farm epics now). ITs not fun to get oneshot by players(there is a small percentage of the global population who wants to date a dominatrix, but its a SMALL population), anyone who says otherwise is a sadist or a masochist. 90% of the servers shortcomings would be fixed with a player base 4-5x its current size.

Its not like grinding mobs all night is the fun part of this. By far and large, there are more players in instant max level servers where they have vendor halls, so acting like increased drop rates is going to be anything but great for the server population is just intellectually dishonest. 

Though the devs would certainly need to ensure that crafting mats were added as a secondary and separate roll chance, so that a ten stack of ore/bars doesn't end up taking the place of a much more needed item. Also, crafting plans from raids should be capable of being found in the world.

6 hours ago, Locc said:

This is a fantastic idea if the server population increases, otherwise it would only provide another barrier of entrance.

6 hours ago, Locc said:

#6. Implement a rotating random daily quest scenario that has to do with PVP wether it be a King of the Hill, Kill Quest, Healing Quest, Invasion, or Mercenary body count.

Again fantastic idea, if the population increases and the barriers to entry are torn down. Otherwise it will only give incentive to the BiS players to bully new players more than they already do.

6 hours ago, Locc said:

#8. Allow for hardcore versions of 60 content dungeons to be ran for previous raid content gear I.E. AQ20 Drops. We can run Scholomance with something like the BFA weekly settings to obtain BWL gear.
    ***(one of my personal favorite requests) as Dungeons are only viable until you're first day in raid or farming reputation yet they are one of the funnest things to do that don't require 10man teams or more and hours of prep/hours of devotion)***

As the dungeons currently stand they are merely a farming tool for currency. This is a sound idea all around, since nobody wants to run a dungeon 50 times to apply a couple REs, Even blizzard has started to wise up and recognize that the majority of players don't want to farm, if they do they are probably playing a Korean mmo. Making 5 mans a source of 10/20 man raid gear would give new players a CLEAR goal to achieve by farming in the world, which when coupled with reducing the amount of farming in the world, would help to retain more players. along with giving us a more tangible reward for completing the content. It would also still allow the more hardcore players to have the advantage they enjoy from being hardcore players, it just would no longer be such a massive advantage that competition is impossible. While you might be tempted to say that reducing the amount of world farming, would reduce the number of opportunities to WPVP, think about the effects of players always having a full set of BWL gear they can use to run dungeons for AQ20 gear. Risking the AQ20 gear in the world wouldn't be the end of a character.

-Another idea to help the population grow-

Bring in voting rewards. Increasing the server ranking on the Private server libraries can only be a good thing for the server. Doesn't have to be much really. Something along the lines of giving player a reset or two for voting for 7 days in a row would be more than enough. New players= More players spending money on other items. Larger populations are also more likely to attract those whales who spend over 1k on the server.

I think some of these ideas are great, but I highly disagree with turning overwatch and similar addons back on.. they are ruining wpvp by making ppl able to pick their fights and dodge pvp. If world is so empty u have to look for players for 2-3 hours, its because theres no incentive for players to be in world and coz the population is rly low. Fix the root of the problem instead of treating the symptoms. 

It goes against the whole concept of high-risk that you can see ppl entering the zone and port out instantly if a player u are unsure u can win against joins the zone. Its also easy to see if ppl are flying into the zone as they join/leave the zone several times. This way ppl can just run to flightmasters, and instantly buttfuck any poor soul who lands there without a chance to do anything. Its NOT healthy for wpvp. Please dont consider making addons like this an acceptable thing..

Edited by Beastly

7 hours ago, Solstice said:

Got it! Thanks

I'll look into making enchants not bind items

Also items with the 20k honor enchant needs to be deathtraded... and i believe the pvp trinkets 

#13. Unban all previously banned players in a one time grace to return this game to maximum population(with a gear/gold wipe of course)

When your server is dying so badly that you gotta unban people to keep the pop alive.

Rest of the list seems like a good idea. but I think it's to late for LS.

Woops I forgot about 12

#12 lol that's like the second worst idea on the list, do you know how much cancer it was to roll for the re's you wanted. I spent over 10k in the first 5 months of the server rolling on re's just to get my build past 1k dps why? because I was so unlucky with rolls it wasn't even funny I didn't even get my first re for my build untill I spent 3k gold. true that's only 300 rolls but that shit's a lot more time consuming when you basicly made only 100g and hour or 10 rolls an hour.

That was one of the reason why ascension almost died back in december before they rolled out the re rework and bwl combo that saved the server. bring that shit back will no joke kill the server.

Edited by SirGank

5 hours ago, SirGank said:

When your server is dying so badly that you gotta unban people to keep the pop alive.

Rest of the list seems like a good idea. but I think it's to late for LS.

It was actually outside the realm of needed changes, but I personally due believe in second/third chances and I think it would spice up some of the afterparty of having these changes made so we could get some good deserving players back there are a few people out there that got banned just by association which I agree they deserved to be banned. BUT I think we could get some big changes in and then bring everyone back for some good ol ascension fun. But yes I agree sometimes its not healthy to unban players biggest thing here isnt that were unbanning to raise the pop were unbanning to increase some fun with old players after we've established fixes and raised the population.

As I said many times disabling BGs is stupid suggestion. There are tons of people who enjoy them and there are some for whom BGs is all they care about. Remove BGs and you'll have many people leave the server (me included). Dont force wPvP by removing content other people enjoy. Instead bring initiative for those people to do wPvP.

Also big fat NO to #12. Adding extracts and allowing for people to easier get REs they want was excellent improvement.

But Id love to see deathtrading go. There is no reason for any items to be soulbound on LS.

Edited by mindw0rk

On 10/6/2018 at 6:13 AM, boi said:

Also tome of specialization II for honor, shoulder enchant for honor, ZG enchanted gear, rifles with high level scope, some enchanting reciepes (22 int on weap, 15 str on weap, 15 spellpower on bracer, also all AQ reciepes too probably).

Edited by mindw0rk

6 hours ago, mindw0rk said:

As I said many times disabling BGs is stupid suggestion. There are tons of people who enjoy them and there are some for whom BGs is all they care about. Remove BGs and you'll have many people leave the server (me included). Dont force wPvP by removing content other people enjoy. Instead bring initiative for those people to do wPvP.

Also big fat NO to #12. Adding extracts and allowing for people to easier get REs they want was excellent improvement.

But Id love to see deathtrading go. There is no reason for any items to be soulbound on LS.

Out of curiosity why were re extractions an excellent improvement this game was fundamentally created on having a constant grind and a need to play to perfect, nobody in retail except for a handful of players were ever full 100% tailors BIS when new content was being released. Having res at the ready everytime you lose a piece of gear or change a slot removes an element of randomness and need to do something at the current state. People having access to every possible re whenever they want is causing a HUGE gap in end game players to even just casual. Also in beta when res we’re harder to obtain there was rarely a one shot build unless they had been playing for a long time

ps please keep an open mind nobody said disabling BGs as an entirety I said to limit them and make the experience better than what it is currently Huuuugggge difference than just straight up disabling them which would also be a good idea lol but compromise is key.

Edited by Locc

On 10/7/2018 at 6:12 PM, Locc said:

Out of curiosity why were re extractions an excellent improvement this game was fundamentally created on having a constant grind and a need to play to perfect, nobody in retail except for a handful of players were ever full 100% tailors BIS when new content was being released. Having res at the ready everytime you lose a piece of gear or change a slot removes an element of randomness and need to do something at the current state. People having access to every possible re whenever they want is causing a HUGE gap in end game players to even just casual. Also in beta when res we’re harder to obtain there was rarely a one shot build unless they had been playing for a long time

ps please keep an open mind nobody said disabling BGs as an entirety I said to limit them and make the experience better than what it is currently Huuuugggge difference than just straight up disabling them which would also be a good idea lol but compromise is key.

PA isnt supposed to be about grind. Its about experimenting with builds. New system is much better for that and much better for casual players overal.

As for your BGs suggestion, I dont see how FORCING people to create teams and register as a team is better than quick fun matches. Current pop doesnt support rated matches and the change will be a final nail in BGs coffin. So no thanks.

Edited by mindw0rk

As I see it, high risk is doomed, and the list from OP is more a wishlist for those still sticking around rather than a list of things that will help foster the revival of a healthy population. On top of the fact that the classless system lacks any semblance of PvP balance, World of Warcraft was never designed with permanent gear loss in mind. Given how important gear is to a character and how well they function, losing a few pieces of gear for whatever reason can put a new player far enough behind that they lose interest. No matter how bad the ganking got in STV or whatever kind of cheese was thrown at you while you were least prepared for it, the worst that could happen in retail (or no risk) is that you died and would have to spend some time running back to your corpse. On high risk, all it takes is 1 unlucky death to put you significantly behind the guy who just killed you. Two unlucky deaths in a row (the second being much more likely after the first), and you're now down a quarter of your gear and all the stats that come with it. 

I know that high risk wasn't designed for me or players that think like I do, I don't begrudge them that. But there simply aren't enough players aware of this game that truly enjoy what high risk has to offer.

27 minutes ago, Stmichael said:

As I see it, high risk is doomed, and the list from OP is more a wishlist for those still sticking around rather than a list of things that will help foster the revival of a healthy population. On top of the fact that the classless system lacks any semblance of PvP balance, World of Warcraft was never designed with permanent gear loss in mind. Given how important gear is to a character and how well they function, losing a few pieces of gear for whatever reason can put a new player far enough behind that they lose interest. No matter how bad the ganking got in STV or whatever kind of cheese was thrown at you while you were least prepared for it, the worst that could happen in retail (or no risk) is that you died and would have to spend some time running back to your corpse. On high risk, all it takes is 1 unlucky death to put you significantly behind the guy who just killed you. Two unlucky deaths in a row (the second being much more likely after the first), and you're now down a quarter of your gear and all the stats that come with it. 

I know that high risk wasn't designed for me or players that think like I do, I don't begrudge them that. But there simply aren't enough players aware of this game that truly enjoy what high risk has to offer.

Unfortunately that is very untrue, the things listed would decrease the gap between new and old players, and would also allow for a large portion of players to catch up and have more interest in playing. No offense but if you sat down read what was posted you would see lots of things here are geared to close that gap and help foster a better relationship between new players and old.

Losing a piece of gear here isn't all that its cracked up to be ya it sucks but if you were around in beta the current system is nothing compared to the old.