Sign in to follow this  
Netherial

Spell crafting

Alright, so first thing is first. I'm not suggesting spell combination. Spell combination is dumb. What I suggest is a custom profession that uses some kind of custom ink from inscription and some kind of enchanted parchment from enchanting, to craft a spell based on preset spell effects with a lot of customization. What do I mean by customization? Say you pick the base of your spell to be shapeshift, well, you wouldn't want to use the same shape shift abilities already in the default game now would you? No, you would want to pick the model that your shapeshift uses, within reason of course. You could pick from a few different things, like the serpent model form wailing caverns that the druid of the fangs use, or the mana wyrm model used in sunstrider isle, Or maybe you want to be a turtle. Then you would choose the buffs that your shapeshift would provide, say you made a turtle, you would want to choose the damage reduction/armor increase buff and aggro increase, at the downside of doing less damage. Or you wanted to enslave demons to your will instead of using the preset demons handed to you in the default game, so you would use a base of tame, and then choose the creature type, in this case you would pick demon, but powerful demons require soulshards to summon. The spells that you create could vary from one time use scrolls to teaching the spell to you permanently. As the game stands right now, you are still forced to use preset spells, which limits the variety of the game. Since I suggested that this be a profession, maybe you would have to unlock different tiers of spell modifiers and bases with different levels of skill, max skill being everything is unlocked.

You would also choose the resource you wanted to use for the spell like rage mana or energy, or even health! maybe a combination of two? and example being a bearzerker spell that turns you into a boosted bear form using rage instead of mana, or a bow spell that uses energy instead of mana.

Fantastic idea but in the programmatic way its a bit hard, only if they find a way with methods like the restricted ones from macros in combination with the back-end logic.

Plus its so hard to balance if not using as base examples existing spells but it can be super rewarding. Like why only nature, arcane and shadow have special forms, why not become a water elemental, fire rager or holy aspect to have boosts to those spell trees.

But this can also create problems from effect stacking and can get out of hand fast. Best would be to limit it to a small number of these spells, like have just one and later on maybe at endgame get a second one maybe a third , MAX.

Guest Jacob

This is something I'm advocating for Tichodrius, it can definitely be done. Project Ascension isn't stopping for anything, don't stop believing.