NealSnow15

Andorhal Experience Rates

Andorhal Experience Rates   

78 members have voted

1. 1. There is some suggestions to adjust the exp rates on the softcore realm Andorhal.

• Have quests be x2 the exp rate and the mobs only x1 rates
    • Have quests be x1 exp rates and mobs x2 rates
    • I'd prefer the blizzlike x1 rates for mobs and quests

Title pretty much says it all, I feel its time to come together as a community once again to impact the future of the softcore realm. Voice your opinions so that the devs can hear you!

@NealSnow15

I like the poll. :)

I do agree that Andorhal should receive a bit of love in this department. I made a small discussion, but I won't link it. My thoughts;

I think that Quests should be higher than Mobs to avoid having people simply AoE grind mobs, gives people who wish to run Quests a better chance without reforming to simple builds until 60 - takes away from the experience of being diverse for a classless Realm.

edit; I don't have anymore likes for the day, but I'll be sure to pop one on here when I can.

edit; Just realized you posted on my post earlier. I need to find out how to delete my posts sometimes lol.

-Nammey

Edited by Nammey

Just to toss it out there, I think increasing the mob experience rates and not quest experience will further encourage AOE grinding. A lot of people did a fair bit of AOE grinding on Andorhal including myself because it was practical and reasonably efficient. I got bored and still did some questing, but someone could AOE grind to 60 once you get enough abilities.

So far though, people at least seem to think its not a good idea to increase mob XP (currently 9/0/3). :)

@the devs, I wonder if changing just the quest XP multiplier alone is even possible.

I'd say make it up to 2x more for both. Even 1.25 or 1.5 would be a nice change from the standard leveling rates.

4 hours ago, Nammey said:

I think that Quests should be higher than Mobs to avoid having people simply AoE grind mobs, gives people who wish to run Quests a better chance without reforming to simple builds until 60 - takes away from the experience of being diverse for a classless Realm

@Nammey

You make a very very good point Nammy! There are a ton who just AoE grind till 60 than switch and rebuild. I'm fully on board with quests being the only thing effected and I think x2 is perfect just because a lot of people have either lvl'd toons to 60 on other vanilla servers or and server reallt that has x1 it gets really borning for most to grind every single time! 

Despite peoples opinions with Warmane I'd love to make a toon and lvl it there but they don't allow you do transfer into another expansion though the rates are really high, it still just takes away the fun having to start over if I wanted to play on their wraith servers. Thats why I love the idea of this project, going from vanilla to wraith like it will be fun to play the game (kinda) how it was when BC and wraith were new. I doubt it will happen unless the community really REALLY wanted it but I wouldn't be against a cata version but I know not everyone would like that since alot do not seem to like cata and hated how much it changed the world.

9 minutes ago, Cerabow said:

So far though, people at least seem to think its not a good idea to increase mob XP (currently 9/0/3).

@Cerabow

Yeah I just realized that from Nammy, but I put it as an option mostly just to have it as a compromise really, give players more of a say you know?  

5 minutes ago, Skittz said:

I'd say make it up to 2x more for both. Even 1.25 or 1.5 would be a nice change from the standard leveling rates.

@Skittz

Yeah oddly enough I forgot to add that as an option but too late for that now ^^;

I had no trouble leveling a character to 60 on Andorhal with my hectic RL schedule. If anything, maybe 10 to 20 percent on quests, but that's about it.

I saw a neat idea on here once. Group quests could yield much more experience than normal quests (and I mean MUCH more). The strength of the involved mobs/overall difficulty of said quests could be tuned up along with this change to encourage grouping for content out in the world more often (so people don't go soloing group content with maniac builds).

If that's not possible on the realms as they come out in the next week or so, then perhaps this is something you could try out on Tichondrius?

25 minutes ago, Drakkona123 said:

I saw a neat idea on here once. Group quests could yield much more experience than normal quests (and I mean MUCH more). The strength of the involved mobs/overall difficulty of said quests could be tuned up along with this change to encourage grouping for content out in the world more often (so people don't go soloing group content with maniac builds).

If that's not possible on the realms as they come out in the next week or so, then perhaps this is something you could try out on Tichondrius?

This is a cool idea

Good poll. 

Since there will be no dual specs at lower levels increase the quest XP so it doesn't force people into AoE grind specs for leveling. This will encourage a wider variety specs for dungeons and group quests.

8 hours ago, Drakkona123 said:

@Drakkona123

That is also a good idea since (as far as I know) grouping gives you all LESS exp so it makes it even harder to level if you want to play with people and since vanilla is so group focused and designed I will always scratch my head as to why they thought doing that was a good idea. 

I like the group quest idea to give a big boost.  My suggestion would be to buff quest XP by 10%, buff dungeon quests by 50% and group quests by 100% (at least).  I think questing is already in a pretty good place, especially if you're not in an AoE grinding build, but between dungeon and group quests there are a LOT less group quests being done than dungeon quests.

2 hours ago, NealSnow15 said:

@Drakkona123

That is also a good idea since (as far as I know) grouping gives you all LESS exp so it makes it even harder to level if you want to play with people and since vanilla is so group focused and designed I will always scratch my head as to why they thought doing that was a good idea. 

The underlying philosophy for reduced experience per unit is the potentially reduced time it takes to down each enemy, possibly yielding a positive increase in experience per given interval, such as minutes or hours.

On the general topic, I believe that tuning group quests and increasing their XP gains is a viable and fresh suggestion worth considering. In return to balance rates out, I would actually welcome a reduction in xp from kills, such as a multiplier of 0.8, 0.85 or 0.90 (-20, -15 or -10%). This would also encourage questing a lot more.

Edited by Gubbyascension

50 minutes ago, Gubbyascension said:

The underlying philosophy for reduced experience per unit is the potentially reduced time it takes to down each enemy, possibly yielding a positive increase in experience per given interval, such as minutes or hours.

Ah that does make since though personality for me I prefer mmo's that still give everyone the same amount of exp based on ones level but that's just me and what I prefer and I understand others prefer the split exp. I'm grateful that not only has this poll got some of peoples thoughts on it down but also the discussion and other suggestions its bringing in as they are important when talking about the change we can create. 

1x is my vote. Like a lot of folks I'm in no hurry to sit outside the bank because I'm bored of endgame. 

Slow Down, there is no fire.

/Salute!

edit: I have said this before. If you change the xp rate you change the reason for doing entire quest chains for the blue rewards. You outlevel the chains before you get to the end for the reward. Sure, you can do them, but in most cases you don't get xp for killing mobs in the chain because you eventually are 5 times higher level than the mobs in your area. Once this happens you start skipping huge portions of game content and a huge part of why you are even playing World of Warcraft.

Edited by Kralomax

Sadly most people play WoW just for the endgame PvP and just the endgame dungeons for those special mechanics , but never bothered to read a quest message, try to get a image of the political/social/... situation of the area they are leveling in...no , it's just another accept,go to target on map, kill/gather, exp , rinse&repeat... . They loose a lot of the soul of the world, the jokes and the quirks of the NPCs they are facing. Great example is the quest chain in Witch Hill in Dustwallow  Marsh.

Edited by ManeaGeo

1 hour ago, ManeaGeo said:

Sadly most people play WoW just for the endgame PvP and just the endgame dungeons for those special mechanics , but never bothered to read a quest message, try to get a image of the political/social/... situation of the area they are leveling in...no , it's just another accept,go to target on map, kill/gather, exp , rinse&repeat...

While there are a few interesting ones, for me personally most quests are... filler they don't really matter too much. I was spoiled by a mmo that is story driven though compared to how vanilla seems to be more do what you want there really is no story but the one you make which can be well and good but as someone who doesn't have many friends I mostly roam the game just listening to music while picking up a quest doing it and turning it in. I also do like a really rich story and it can be hard for me since vanilla doesn't really have a 'main' story line to follow not from what I've seen anyway. Seems to me the problem on my end is vanilla has a rich lore if you are a hardcore warcraft fan and played the RTS games or saw playthroughs but if not story wise for people like me vanilla is lacking sorely in that department.

Sure the quest chains can have stories but they are more mini stories where I prefer a more... idk what it'd be called  other than main story where you start, have a goal and can do side stuff but later on you will still have a story to come back too. Possible what I'm thinking of is a threat, vanilla doesn't really have a big bad guy that you meet early on and you know you will take them on later. vanilla to me lacks a threat a reason to fight, someone to hate someone you want to crush. Instead I feel like I'm just wondering around with no real purpose, no goal other than reaching lv60. 

I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing wow or vanilla because when it came out it was just fine but imho vanilla has not aged well compared to modern mmo's. 

Something to take away from this is while not everyone is like me, not everyone has nostalgia to help them along as I do feel it does honestly play a rule in it. Some like me don't have good memories, we don't have that magical feeling of playing in a world we use to. I also understnad I'm in the minority of people who are like that though. For me its all new. A case that could be made against me is to not judge vanilla on modern mmo's since it is dated.

Keep editing... but I also just thought maybe the reason I have a hard time with it is the lack of friends I have. I'd think any mmo is a ton more fun with them but I don't have that, no friends to share the experience with. The game is still pretty big that much I can say, so big it's easy to get lonely with no one to share it with ;-;

Edited by NealSnow15

The problem with story driven MMOs is they are often too quick to level and then they suck for alts, and you don't feel much of the mmo aspect because the whole story can be seen in single player.

MMO simply becomes a lack of available mods and a requirement to be online, compared with something like Skyrim.

4 hours ago, Soulrx said:

70% is pretty definitive 

Don't think people want to be forced into AoE builds for leveling. 

70% of 49 persons is not definitive when the average connected population on Andorhal was 150-200 before weekend event, imo

Edited by worgyn

2 hours ago, Skribs said:

The problem with story driven MMOs is they are often too quick to level and then they suck for alts

There can be a balance struck plus I come form a mmo that one person can learn every class and every crafting class on one toon... yet that doesn't stop me from making alts purely to see what type of character I can recreate or just make... I have a problem, if wow had such a deep character creator my gods the amount of alts I'd probably make just for fun...

23 minutes ago, worgyn said:

70% of 49 persons is not definitive when the average connected population on Andorhal was 150-200 before weekend event, imo

This right here. While its a poll its done by me... a nobody. I sent a msg to one of the community managers to show them the poll in case they haven't noticed it and said I'd prefer if they made a poll themselves as I feel a ton more of people would vote.

Edit: Also we have to keep in mind the population is going to boom come live and most people probably aren't using the forums like we do so its honestly really hard to gauge it. 

Edited by NealSnow15

1 hour ago, worgyn said:

You can't force people to answer the poll...even if the devs post the poll you might get a few more responses but it should be close to the same results...because statistics and stuff.