Arkoniel

[ADDON] The Ascension Talent Calculator In Game

Hi all,

I made my own talent calculator as an addon ( download v2.16 Beta at https://mega.nz/#!FXAXQQjL!bV1Dt2LiOzQm2MYGN71C2VyOTLVZsSagJ4KFX8ZsygU ).

Calculator is not yet done, this is just alpha. It is more complex than previous version thus more messy.. It has now 4 tabs (but only "Trees" and "Share" tabs work) and it has tabs at the top that can be used to quickly switch between builds. Look and functionality is inspired by web talent calc. There are some bugs (for example hovering over talents does not show tooltip).

scr_14.jpg

How to open Talent Window:

1. In-game command /atc 
  2. Right-Click Minimap Button and chose "open build calculator" from the menu
  3. Left-Click Minimap Button
  4. In Game Menu (ESC) -> Key Bindings -> Ascension Build Calculator, you can set a key to open build calculator (or set it to "n" with macro below)
 /run SetBinding("N","ATCOPEN") 

How to Create New Build:

1. If there are no opened builds in the talent calculator, there is always a tab with unsaved talents. (So you can close all tabs with [x] button and calculator creates a tab with new build)
  2. Left-Down pointing arrow at the top right corner creates a menu from which you can select option "Create new". New build will be opened in a new tab.
  3. Right-Click to Minimap button, Load Builds and select "Create new" or "Create New from link" if you have a link. New builds are opened in a new tab.

All new builds loaded to calculator are unsaved. Saved builds that are edited (you learn/unlearn some talent or spell) become unsaved as well. If you close any unsaved build, all unsaved progress will be lost, only last saved state can be loaded via minimap button menu again.
How to save your build:

1. Click Left-Down Pointing Arrow at the top right corner and select "Save" from the menu. If you are trying to save New build, a window appears where you have to write name of your build (e.g. Pyromoonkin.) If the build is not new, using this option silently updates previous build and changes title to [Saved].
  2. You can go to key bindings and set key to save talents. I personally use "CTRL+S". You can set it also via macro below.
/run SetBinding("CTRL-S", "ATCSAVE")

If you have saved build (green [Saved] at the topleft corner of build calc), you can safely close current build using [x] at active tab. Build can be loaded via minimap button. 

You can see all your talents/spells under the "Share" tab and under the "List" tab. If you load your current build, you can use "List" tab as a spell book, just click "Learned" checkbox and drag any spell from there to your action bar. In search editbox, you can type full name or part name of spell. If you want to search in descriptions of spells, you can type desc:"text" (for example desc:"damage" to find all spells that deals damage.) You can also search by level using lvl:X-Y (show all spells from level X to Y) or lvl:X+ (level X and higher) or lvl:X- (lvl X or lower) or lvl:X (only spells with level x are shown). X,y are numbers without quotes. You can also similarly search for cost of spells using ae:X-Y or te:X-Y. Rank can be used as rank:0 to show all unlearned spells and talents or rank:1 to show learned spells and talents with 1point in it or rank:2, rank:3, rank:4, rank:5 (or you can use rank:X/Y format - rank:2/5 shows only 5pts talents in which you spent 2 points.

Note: Addon first-time load may cause errors.

Arkoniel

Edited by Arkoniel
small update

This is Epic!!!  Thank you! This is going to be a must have....

Any way to resize the UI? It's just a bit too large for my screen.

Wo_WScrn_Shot_062217_000143.jpg
upload photo albums

Edited by Rhetoric
Added Screenshot

On 22. 6. 2017 at 6:01 AM, Rhetoric said:

Any way to resize the UI? It's just a bit too large for my screen.

You can go to video settings, check Use UIScale button and lower value on UIScale bar.

I am working on options window to let you resize addon.

v1.1a available to test - download link at the top.

"/tp" to show interface, ESC -> Interface -> Addons (tab) -> Ascension Talents for options window. If you upgrade addon from previous version, I recommend to navigate to options and do full addon reset. Right click and drag anywhere on the frame but buttons to resize frame, left-click and drag to reposition. Mouse wheel scrolls talents. up and down.

Edited by Arkoniel

This is what i got

Wo_WScrn_Shot_063017_010118.jpg

Not sure why it's so long..... i like the bigger icons from V1.0 I like the option to pick which layout to use though.

I Do like the transparency for this thou...

Edited by Rhetoric

New Version released: v1.2
- You can now set your current level as max level in the options, it should set max AE, TE according to your current level and you should not see spells above your level. 
- If you have lower level than required, talents and spells now remind you in their tooltips. You can still add spells and talents into preview.
- *Open Talents* button menu has new item "Load your Talents". It should load your currently learned talents and spells into preview. *Note: Dismiss your pet or it will load your pet's spells too (Growl, Cover, Bite, Rake..) 

Download at:
>> top <<

Edited by Arkoniel
removed outdated link

There is also an option to learn previewed talents. It is in beta though. I would like to ask you to test it on Instant 60 realms. 

I liked the transparent Background, an option for that would be awesome. Also possibly Names of the talent trees...

Very cool, but what website/calculator can you "open from link"?

Thank you!

edit: Ok, I see now that you can generate your in-game build and share it. I was thinking there was a website with a calculator we would use out of game to build our ideas. Thank you again.

Edited by Kralomax

Hi !

I am unable to learn any builds from this addon, any ideas how to fix?

I tried re-installed and deleted cache so far ...

would be really cool if I could get it to work cause my spec  is getting purged 1-2x a day lately ... pain to redo every time

nf5xqwrh.jpg

Edited by Klick
added screenshot

On 16. 10. 2017 at 12:43 AM, Klick said:

/solved
by resetting options

Glad to hear it. It's been awhile since I worked on this addon. There might be some issues when learning talents if you have already some talents and spells learned. Problem is mainly with multiple ranks of spells that are not recognized. For example if you want to learn some Bear Form build and you already have Dire Bear Form (rank 2) ability learned, addon does not recognize you already have Bear Form (rank 1) because it was replaced by rank 2 in spell book. Problem is it has different name in spell book so addon do not check it properly and miscalculates your points. Also there is issue with Dual Wield counting twice.

And I would recommend using layout 2 (which should be default layout after addon reset).

Hope all spells and talents and their tooltips are still correct. :)

Absolutely! The default layout is the better one!

At one point I changed it to the other layout and from then the problems started and I couldn't change it back.
The reset fixed everything :)
good addon!

This post is not about new version of talent calc. I just want to share some screenshots from developing of this addon to see what I have seen. One might be interested. .)

When I started to create this addon, I was not sure how it should work. Whether it will be self-updating addon or addon that needs a new version everytime something changes. The first option would be better but is it possible? So I looked at patch-A.MPQ and tried to find out how it works, what is on the client side in patch-A, what is cached in the client and what is sent directly to a client everytime you open your Ascension talent list.

The first screenshot is from "hacking" server communication with a client and vice versa. I tried to send and receive data using my addon code and in chat I compare number of characters that I received/sent with amount of characters received and sent by AIO addons. It has no visual yet.

scr_1.jpg

Yay, it worked! Numbers were the same. Back in days of developing this addon, AIO files were very buggy so there were a lot of errors when sending/receiving data. Even now receiving some data may result in an error in chat. But error happens only in AIO addon, all received data are saved in my addon safely. ^^

Okay, so Addon can be self-updating. Now after many days and days of studying a received code, some interface to visually display what I got from those code. Only class buttons were programmed to do something on click. Talent and spell buttons were just icons positioned in a right way. Note: there is no "general" class icon yet. :)

scr_2.jpg

Testing whether clicking on class button will swap all spells and talents:

scr_3.jpg

First tooltip test:

scr_4.jpg

It was a bit tricky to show all ranks in one tooltip, but I did it! And the tooltips should auto-update when some talents change their text or cost.

Next active talent tooltip:

scr_5.jpg

Another one.

scr_6.jpg

Judgement multiline tooltip.:D

scr_7.jpg

Tame Beast (Ascension custom ability) test.

scr_8.jpg

Adding buttons of spells and talents you learned.

scr_9.jpg

Addin AE and TE costs on ability and talent buttons. Oh fuck, I screw it up.

scr_10.jpg

Okay, now all talents are green when you can learn them, yellow if you already learnt them or without any background if you have not enough points to learn them. But what the hell?! I have 51 available talent points and can't learn Natural Shapeshifter 3 point talent. It was 1 point talent that costs 1 AE and 1 TE, but data sent to the client said it is 3 points talent. :D

scr_11.jpg

Note in the screenshot above, there is now general button next to class buttons. :D 

So many bugs, /tired of fixing them all. scr_12.jpg

Okay, interface was pretty much complete but ugly, big and cannot be easily resized without breaking it.

So working on resizable UI completely from scratch with a lot of experiences how to do it properly now. (By that time I was often asked by many players why I am in Stormwind City doing nothing :D )

scr_13.jpg

Some nice background. 5 frames in a row, 1st for class spells, 2nd - 4th for talent trees and 5th for learned spells + talents. All resizable and movable.

Adding talent essence and ability essence buttons to the right, some buttons to the left that allow to operate with talents (reset, save, delete, learn or share via link). So the final version:

scr_14.jpg

And here we are today. I know it is not perfect and that it has some flaws and can be unintuitive. Also sorry for my english.

Thanks for reading and iHope, you have fun creating builds with this addon as much as I have fun creating this addon. 

Edited by Arkoniel