Sign in to follow this  
Aaron_

The problems within 'Crow's Cache'

Hello fellow LS players.

We have desperately begged for PvE content to stop being pushed as the main way to gear on a high-risk PvP realm and we have been answered with "Crow's Cache".

The idea is great, don't get me wrong, it gives players an exact location to know where PvP is going to occur and gives some incentive to go there as you'll either run into another group and get gear from them or just get the chest itself. Unfortunately there's a few problems with this event, in my opinion from doing it various times since it's release.

1 - There being two chests at once.

I'm not 100% sure why there's two chests at once, you should spawn one and then have an alert when it's looted to say the next chest is spawning in x minutes. At the moment there's not a ton of people doing this event, the solo's are pretty much out of the picture as they tried it once and got zerged by 15, so it's really only the big guilds and a few courageous players who roll with 5 or less who actually go for these chests, let's say a max of about 45 go which seems realistic. This means you're pretty much splitting this in two, since a lot of players sit in there city, horde will be favoured to go Kalimdor and alliance will be favoured for the Eastern Kingdoms chests, this basically makes it two guilds zerging seperate chests instead of having one big good looking fight which is why I was initially attracted to the idea. When Crow did this event, he was in one place and that meant everyone had to go directly to him, there was a lot of people fighting when this was the case.

Suggestion: Spawn one chest, when it is looted announce that it has been looted and then show the next location for the next chest to create more focused world PvP in one zone.

2 - The locations of some of the chests

I've only experienced a crap zone twice so I'm not sure how consistent this in to be honest so I won't comment too much, but yesterday night one chest spawned off the coast of Arathi Highlands, in the middle of the sea sat underwater. First of all, you have the problem with having to constantly go back up to get breath. The main issue is there was a Guild vs Guild fight there, it was pretty much unfair for every single melee player there as it was a complete clusterfuck, people fighting underwater. This means you can't charge because pathing, making all melee's ridiculously useless outside of shadowstep. This fight ended up lasting 45 seconds just because it was ranged vs melee when it could've been a lot more fun. I understand the desire to place these zones in hard to get to or more diverse locations than just in the middle of a field.

Suggestion: Place the chests in mountains, caves, but not the middle of the atlantic ocean.

3 - The loot you actually get is so dissapointing

The first thing I read, "GUARENTEED EPICS AND DUNGEON BLUES". Wow, that sounds really good actually, unfortunately the epics do not compare in the slightest to PvE, as you know, BWL is out so good guilds are getting ready to clear them regularly, getting T2 and BWL gear 24/7 while we're still hoping to possibly get a T1 piece of Giantstalker since everything else is dirt cheap right now, In the last 2 chests I've looted there was a grand total of 80 GOLD made from them, 50g from one and 30g from the other as I physically could not sell the epics I received.

Suggestion: I feel that either more gear needs to drop, being like 3-4 epics or you need to up the loot that actually drops, looking at having always T1 at worst and T2 at a low chance, to allow players who do not play here to PvE (which isn't many funnily enough) a chance to get T2 gear to keep up with current content.

Please post your thoughts as I'd like this event to be improved and I'm sure others would to.

1 hour ago, Aaron_ said:

Hello fellow LS players.

We have desperately begged for PvE content to stop being pushed as the main way to gear on a high-risk PvP realm and we have been answered with "Crow's Cache".

The idea is great, don't get me wrong, it gives players an exact location to know where PvP is going to occur and gives some incentive to go there as you'll either run into another group and get gear from them or just get the chest itself. Unfortunately there's a few problems with this event, in my opinion from doing it various times since it's release.

1 - There being two chests at once.

I'm not 100% sure why there's two chests at once, you should spawn one and then have an alert when it's looted to say the next chest is spawning in x minutes. At the moment there's not a ton of people doing this event, the solo's are pretty much out of the picture as they tried it once and got zerged by 15, so it's really only the big guilds and a few courageous players who roll with 5 or less who actually go for these chests, let's say a max of about 45 go which seems realistic. This means you're pretty much splitting this in two, since a lot of players sit in there city, horde will be favoured to go Kalimdor and alliance will be favoured for the Eastern Kingdoms chests, this basically makes it two guilds zerging seperate chests instead of having one big good looking fight which is why I was initially attracted to the idea. When Crow did this event, he was in one place and that meant everyone had to go directly to him, there was a lot of people fighting when this was the case.

We have no plans to change having two chests spawn right now. What we don't want to see is one guild monopolize the chest. By having two spawn it means guilds have to split their forces, and as we introduce even more content like this we think the Crow's Cache event will be even more dynamic as players will already be out in the world!

We went into this knowing larger groups would have an advantage with the Crow's chest. This is just the first step in the direction we want to go. We are creating and testing content aimed towards solo and small group play as well. We also wanted to gauge the reception this event received to make sure the direction we wanted to go was one our players would follow us towards.

2 - The locations of some of the chests

I've only experienced a crap zone twice so I'm not sure how consistent this in to be honest so I won't comment too much, but yesterday night one chest spawned off the coast of Arathi Highlands, in the middle of the sea sat underwater. First of all, you have the problem with having to constantly go back up to get breath. The main issue is there was a Guild vs Guild fight there, it was pretty much unfair for every single melee player there as it was a complete clusterfuck, people fighting underwater. This means you can't charge because pathing, making all melee's ridiculously useless outside of shadowstep. This fight ended up lasting 45 seconds just because it was ranged vs melee when it could've been a lot more fun. I understand the desire to place these zones in hard to get to or more diverse locations than just in the middle of a field.

Suggestion: Place the chests in mountains, caves, but not the middle of the atlantic ocean.

The locations are going to vary because it creates new challenges and gameplay. Water breathing spells or potions would have been great for that water chest, and we want locations that favor different builds and strategies.

I'm excited to see players develop strategies around these chests. Seeing guilds keep water breathing potions ready to go or creating strategy around choke points is exactly the type of dynamic and emergent gameplay we wanted to see come from these chests. The Crow's Cache is still new. It's still finding its place on LS and I think we will see some awesome gameplay as a result.

3 - The loot you actually get is so dissapointing

The first thing I read, "GUARENTEED EPICS AND DUNGEON BLUES". Wow, that sounds really good actually, unfortunately the epics do not compare in the slightest to PvE, as you know, BWL is out so good guilds are getting ready to clear them regularly, getting T2 and BWL gear 24/7 while we're still hoping to possibly get a T1 piece of Giantstalker since everything else is dirt cheap right now, In the last 2 chests I've looted there was a grand total of 80 GOLD made from them, 50g from one and 30g from the other as I physically could not sell the epics I received.

Suggestion: I feel that either more gear needs to drop, being like 3-4 epics or you need to up the loot that actually drops, looking at having always T1 at worst and T2 at a low chance, to allow players who do not play here to PvE (which isn't many funnily enough) a chance to get T2 gear to keep up with current content.

If we make loot TOO good, guilds will camp them. If we make loot not good enough, the risk wont be worth the reward. We are going to keep watching how these chests play out and find the proper risk : reward balance. 

We want to open up ways for players to earn T2 outside of raiding. I think the Crow's chest is the wrong place for that, as it would make the top guilds feel like their pve progression relies on it, and that would lead to gameplay we want to avoid.

1 hour ago, Kaladin said:

We have no plans to change having two chests spawn right now. What we don't want to see is one guild monopolize the chest. By having two spawn it means guilds have to split their forces, and as we introduce even more content like this we think the Crow's Cache event will be even more dynamic as players will already be out in the world!

We went into this knowing larger groups would have an advantage with the Crow's chest. This is just the first step in the direction we want to go. We are creating and testing content aimed towards solo and small group play as well. We also wanted to gauge the reception this event received to make sure the direction we wanted to go was one our players would follow us towards.

The locations are going to vary because it creates new challenges and gameplay. Water breathing spells or potions would have been great for that water chest, and we want locations that favor different builds and strategies.

I'm excited to see players develop strategies around these chests. Seeing guilds keep water breathing potions ready to go or creating strategy around choke points is exactly the type of dynamic and emergent gameplay we wanted to see come from these chests. The Crow's Cache is still new. It's still finding its place on LS and I think we will see some awesome gameplay as a result.

If we make loot TOO good, guilds will camp them. If we make loot not good enough, the risk wont be worth the reward. We are going to keep watching how these chests play out and find the proper risk : reward balance. 

We want to open up ways for players to earn T2 outside of raiding. I think the Crow's chest is the wrong place for that, as it would make the top guilds feel like their pve progression relies on it, and that would lead to gameplay we want to avoid.

Thank you for the detailed response, it's good to hear that you're planning on focusing in on players who do not have guilds and would like solo wPVP as I see that as one of the biggest complaints.

I agree the concept of having to change your gameplay based on the chest is nice, hence being prepared for water potions can be good, do you have any comments regarding what I said about the massive disadvantage of playing an entire set of specs due to water combat or is that part of the changing gameplay you noted

Also good to hear that you're planning to let us PVP only players stay on par with the hardcore PVE players, I understand if this event isn't the best place as one guild will hog all the loot but at least it's being spoken about.

Last four Crow´s Chest i have looted have been duo, 6man, 4 man, 3 man and i would have got one solo had it not been for a stupid dc. The fights are there and if you avoid the zerg you can end up with some awsome fights and good loot from player. BUT THE LOOT FROM Crow´s  Chest SUCKS A**. Getting manastorm leggings and finkle's lava dredger is just a slap in the face tbh.
I understand why BWL gear should not be implemented into the cache ( Zerg will become even more real )  but please start adding BWL gear to world mobs. Just make the % to drop very small but altleast its presence and you could get lucky.

Edited by Tryant

Last night I took 2 crows chests Solo massive profit for me :D

Perdition Blade

Ring of Spell Power

Fang of the Faceless

Pretty nice loot tbh :D along with some blues and orbs and runes ;)

Edited by Maulkin