Sign in to follow this  
Scrum

New PvP Gear

I got all excited when I read the news release....  until I went and looked at it...

In your news feed it says: "With more resilience and better stats, it blows the previous sets out of the water." It's half true, it blows...

... You guys need to reexamine your definition for such things...

Compare the Knight-Lieutenant's Dreadweave Boots to the new Dreadweave Walkers, for example:

Boots: +10 stam, +15 int, +16 resil, +19 sp, 92 armor

Walkers: +17 stam, +13 int, +17 resil, +18 sp, 96 armor

... Just wow... +7 stam, -2 int, +1 resil, -1 sp, + 4 armor, and all for the low low price of 49,600 honor, plus orbs to replace the re...

How about the Dreadweave Robe versus the Dreadweave tunic?

Robe: +20 stam, +20 int, +24 resil, +16 sp, 134 armor

Tunic: +20 stam, +20 int, +26 resil, + 25 sp, 144 armor

Again, wow!  +0 stam, +0 int, +2 resil, + 9sp, +10 armor... amazing, and a steal of a deal for a mere 68,200 honor plus orbs

Or, the Diadem versus the Satin Hood:

Diadem: +20 stam, + 20 int, +24 resil, +16 sp, 110 armor

Hood: +20 stam, +18 int, +26 resil, +21 sp, 197 armor (but it's the special armor that improved barkskin doesn't apply to, so if you use that - and if you're wearing cloth in pvp you should be - the comparison is 286 armor for the diadem versus 197...)

WOW!!! +0 stam, -2 int, +2 resil, +5 sp, +87 (but reallly - 89) armor, and all for only 68,200 honor, plus yet more orbs AND another ZG idol! Amazing!!

Not that it matters, I guess, since almost everyone with raid gear just wears that anyway, and these 'upgrades' won't entice them to change.

If they were the same price as the old set, then maybe, but with orbs being the way they are, and since honor is better spent on other things (not orbs, because 13k fuck off), it kinda feels like I've just been slapped.

So THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!

2 hours ago, phyrex said:

updating a patch like this overnight again, so fucking hilarious xD also all these stealth buffs and nerfs they dont even add to the patch notes

wtf is going on in there 

What are you talking about...

You assign your owns stats. These have a net gain and most pvp builds stack Stam, this will allow those people to allocate stats elsewhere since they will meet their Stam goal easier through gear. It's an upgrade, and I think it's the right % upgrade and has the added bonus that it requires some knowledge to get the most out of it. You lose 2 int but gain 7 Stam? Cool, reallocate 2 points from Stam to int. 

It's also time gated gear, not skill gated. It shouldn't be crazy strong, but it still gives people a way to progress their gear in BGs if that is what they want. 

15 hours ago, bmannion4 said:

You assign your owns stats. These have a net gain and most pvp builds stack Stam, this will allow those people to allocate stats elsewhere since they will meet their Stam goal easier through gear. It's an upgrade, and I think it's the right % upgrade and has the added bonus that it requires some knowledge to get the most out of it. You lose 2 int but gain 7 Stam? Cool, reallocate 2 points from Stam to int. 

It's also time gated gear, not skill gated. It shouldn't be crazy strong, but it still gives people a way to progress their gear in BGs if that is what they want. 

I think you missed the point.  Is it an upgrade?  Kinda sorta, technically, yes... Is it worth the stupid ass pricing they put on it? Especially when taken with the added enchantment and re costs?  Fuck no. The devs have some strange notions regarding cost/reward ratios.

Put 2 points from stam into int you say? That's kind of funny actually.  That 30 mana would let you do so much...  regardless of the fact that in pvp you pretty much put all your points into stam anyway, and wish you had more after it's done.  It's like saying, "Hey look, it's dog shit, but it has whip cream on it!!!!"

The only good thing you could say is they fixed the crappy 2 set bonuses for melee... not that they need it, but parry for a rogue is pretty shit... enough to make you wonder how that happened in the first place really... which brings us back around to wtf are they thinking?

PvP gear is essentially free. It was not made to be an optimal return on your time investment. This gives people something new to work towards without making other content trivial. If this was an "upgrade worth the price" then people would be complaining about other gear sets being worthless. 

The ONLY thing this requires to earn is time. I'm a big fan of reducing the power gap between tiers anyways. In my opinion, especially on the high risk servers, the power differential between 60 blues and BiS should never exceed 30%. Give players something to work towards and an advantage, but reward skill > gear. And create more forms of lateral progression in keeping items the same ilvl but different options in terms of stats, similar to how this set is. Everything doesn't need to just have bigger numbers, sometimes different numbers is a great way to go too.

20 hours ago, bmannion4 said:

PvP gear is essentially free.

Okay.  I could say the same thing about anything though.  PvE gear is essentially free, because it too, is just a matter of time.  Orbs are essentially free.  Re's are essentially free.  Spend enough time and it's yours.  It's meaningless to say.

20 hours ago, bmannion4 said:

If this was an "upgrade worth the price"

But you would seem to be in agreement that it is not worth the price, which was my whole point.  If you're going to spend the time doing something it should at least feel worth while. 

As you point out, this does not always have to be huge increases, and lateral progression would be fine - I have multiple pvp sets - but not at that price.

That new satin hood, for example, should, at most, be 24k, not 70k.  24k is still too much for +2,-2, but it's more reasonable. 70k is not even close.