Sign in to follow this  
Joni

PvP Gear Feedback

Hey,

So as most of the level 60 player base already knows, the PvP gear has a ridiculous grind attached to it. For the sake of beta, I decided to give it a go and get a single piece of PvP gear, here is my feedback:

First thing I had to do was decide between the many quest options given in order to figure out which would be easiest/quickest. The difficulty of these quests varies massively. One required you to farm level 48 mobs with a 3% drop chance, another required you to kill level 58+ elite mobs also with a 3% drop chance, not balanced at all. I ended up choosing to grind the un'goro crystal collection quest because of guaranteed drops and the chance to gain between 1-3 in any node it seemed like the best bet when most of the quests require 140 of an item for a piece of gear.

It took just under 4 hours to collect enough crystals for one piece of gear. I did zero pvp whilst doing this. It would take over a day of in-game playtime to grind the marks of ascension for a full set, which I would be fine with if I was doing something fun, but this was horribly boring just grinding my arse off. None of these quests related at all to doing PvP beyond just forcing you into the world, hell all the materials to complete the quests could be sold on the AH. Also, I just want to point out that un'goro was uncontested when I grinded, I can't begin to imagine the headache of there being 5 people all trying to gather crystals at the same time, each piece of gear would take more like 12 hours of play time,not even factoring in dropping the damn things.

The stats on the gear are not proportional to the time investment. There's a lot of PvE gear that's better which could be acquired more easily and actually have fun running dungeons at the same time. The only thing I can really see going for the PvP gear is the high stamina or the stacking of spell power 2-set bonuses, but that's a minimal gain for such a lot of work.

My suggestions:

Before I start, I acknowledge that the system is likely incomplete but these suggestions are for the current system in place. If we're given an idea of what other features are going to be implemented it's likely we wouldn't point out things you're already intending to change.

Okay, so what actually is the purpose of having so many quests? There's too many of them, there will be 3 optimal ones to pick depending on contested farming areas and that's it. I fail to see why someone who wants PvP gear has to do loads of grinding while a PvE player can do the content they want to do, and run dungeons. Equally, it's not even remotely interesting/epic like the D2 set quests.

What's the purpose of PvP gear in Ascension? How is PvP gear going to differ from PvE gear if at all? Personally, I'm fine with PvE raid gear being BiS for PvP, but when dungeon gear is better it's kinda hard to justify trying to get PvP gear. On the flipside, if PvP gear is best for PvP, then everyone would be using it with little options in gear choice, so it's not an easy thing to balance. 

This is what I would do:

1. Scrap these god-awful quests, there are other ways to encourage wPvP, hamstringing people's gear progression by shoving it in their face is not the way. 

2. Have two PvP gear sets:

1. One can be purchased with honor points and is the gear on offer right now.
  2. The second set has two ways of being purchased, this gear would be better than dungeon gear:
    1. The pieces of gear are gated behind PvP reputations such as Silverwing Sentinels.
    2. Gear is gated behind arena rating.

WoW is built around instanced content, this doesn't diminish wPvP at all, I enjoy wPvP but it shouldn't be the way to get PvP gear. I get that the system I'm suggesting requires more activity in instanced PvP and hopefully this a good way to encourage it. The first set of gear would require a similar investment time as running dungeons. The second set is gated by either skill or grind.

These are my thoughts, it would be great to hear other's opinions too :)