Sign in to follow this  
Father

What should be done with "Tomes" ?

What should be done with Tomes?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. What should be done with Tomes?

• Remove them entirely. (Train all spells at trainers)
    • Make them one-time use then you always have access to that spell.
    • Do not alter them, we like the way they are!

We are currently looking at the Tomes system.  We would like to hear any feedback or input into the system as a whole.  Please let us know what you think!

32 minutes ago, bobblo said:

Not a bad idea to keep them the way they are, because gold sinks are good for the economy.  

I'm new here. But, aren't the tomes loot drops?

4 minutes ago, Windmill said:

But they are not gold sinks? Quite the opposite, they create gold. Rerolling is the main gold sink

Ya, i guess you are right.  3g minimum sell price does create gold.  

Get rid of them entirely is my vote, but at the least you should remember them once learned.  All they do is punish people who want to try different specs, as you now have to shell out additional gold on top of the already expensive respec, to see if your choice is truly effective or not.  And it's not a small amount of gold, depending on which tomes you're talking about.  150-250 gold for a single tome in some cases is simply a ridiculous expense for wanting to try something - let alone if you'd have to do it all over again in order to try something new.  I can only surmise that those in favour of keeping it the way it is, are those players charging said prices; it really is a terrible idea to place creative spec viability in the hands of greed - unless of course it's your goal to severely limit any sort of spec variation.

They would've worked fine if a variety of things had gone correctly (never needing to purge live/a large enough community to have an economy).

As it is now, the tomes just don't work as a system (and tbh never did, even during beta I largely ignored them other than a few key spells, but at least then I could reliably buy the ones I wanted)

Also just want to mention the lack of transparency with tomes (and generally some of the custom systems). Why does the community have to work out which spells have tomes and which don't? Do lower tier tomes (e.g. Shadow Ward) have a higher drop chance than better tomes? 

We have exactly the same problem with REs. They were overhauled at one point during beta and now a lot of cool REs are gone... or maybe just higher tier?

It's impossible to tell, and this lack of knowledge makes it harder to create a build.

I have my own issues with REs, and I was planning on making a post about them...but since I've basically quit except for a few characters I level with a friend once a week or so, I haven't bothered.

If you remove Tomes from the game - I wouldn't be able to make any gold from aoe farming anymore.

When I joined the server, in week 1 on Sargeras this was the only way for me to scratch some gold with my super bad spec and earn myself enough for a respec, after some hours of farming.

Now I got an aoe build an farm faster, still without these tomes my income would be even lower.

I gathered like 50 of these on my alt, for future use or sell to players, since I find selling them pretty clumsy, when I put them in AH for 10g+, even the very rare one's, nobody buys them and the AH cut is not worth having the tomes in the AH all the time, so I just banked them. . .
If you now would remove them from the game and basically erase them all from my bank, that would suuck.

Other from that I find they don't fit in a system that core idea is creativity, experiments and making your own build.
The respecs itself is expensive already, which I find good.
But the tomes prevent you from testing builds even more, so please make them not necessary anymore, or - as suggested;
make players grind each tome 1x and then keep the rank learned for ever.

I find this a good compromise, since there would be still some use for these tomes, it's kinda something people can grind for,
and, it would allow me to finally use all the tomes in my bank without a great gold loss, since I'm gonna respec some day . . .

My opinion:

I think that tomes should be removed entirely, not only are they ruining the auction house, it's giving people who have more gold an advantage. Whereas new players who are also 60 but however may not have as much gold or do not have the time to invest in farming gold aren't able to get them as easily. This is because people who can afford the tomes can purchase them really easily, and therefore making them do more damage or have an advantage over another player. I think this is really unfair and unbalanced and gives people an upper hand which can be really overpowered depending on the tome. Therefore, this is why I think that they should be removed and they should just be spells.

Keep the tomes but you only have to learn them once, removing them would turn the economy upside down since they are responsible for about 40-50% of total farming income.

Remove them completly, Players feel like they cant respec unless the book is in the main town cause they dont want to lose their spell ranks. would be much less hassle if people could train max rank at the class trainers & would allow more amazing specs to be discovered.

I voted one time use, but now that I think about it, they should be entirely removed. Mainly so I don't need to keep track of which tomes I do or do not have.

2 hours ago, silentmist98 said:

Remove them completly, Players feel like they cant respec unless the book is in the main town cause they dont want to lose their spell ranks. would be much less hassle if people could train max rank at the class trainers & would allow more amazing specs to be discovered.

You do realize what this option in the vote stands for : Make them one-time use then you always have access to that spell. Right?

Honestly, I like tomes system and dont want them to be removed. Im not sure and cant check atm, but when you hover mouse over tome, can you see that you already consumed one? If not, it would be nice QoL feature.

Instead just don't remove the book of skillful ascension, running to every trainer is really annoying and doesnt add anything positive.

I like tomes. Its another progression system and collecting needed tomes is another thing to make people busy ingame. Making them one time use is optimal solution.

Also one suggestion: lower auction fee for tomes. Their vendor cost is high and it costs shitton to put them on AH, so people dont do it. Make tomes cost 10s to put on AH for 48 hours.

Also dont remove skillful book. I dont want to run all across cities to train. This is tedious and not fun. Just dont allow skillful book to learn tomes tier of skills. And to make tomes useful again, remove tome tier of every skill from players when update hits.

Edited by mindw0rk