Hel

The future of the server

Hello, I have been around here for a year now but I no longer play for several reasons, I do come to check if any changes are made, every single time it's stuff about seasonal or other things most of the potential population (what you could and should have) doesn't care about.

The initial goal and promise of this server was to offer the player a chance to build their own class and identity, that is the attractive concept and you should work on it, such idea means that you need to be very careful when balancing spells and mechanics and you did spend a lot of time into it, but it is evidently not enough.

People stop playing or leave when they see that some average cookie-cut class deals 50 times the dps that their own well planned class can do, the motivation to keep playing here is gone when you see that a broken mix of spells outclasses something you loved to build and play, this is not a huge problem as long as it is addressed in time, there are plenty of spell combos that do way above synergy and are simply broken, you can find out more about them by asking the community. Nothing changed in months.

The staff here is mostly focused on the seasonal realm, while Andorhal is seen as the "legacy trash", but why?

How's a realm where you're assigned a bunch of random spells giving players a feel of control and customisation?

Even the seasonal realm is functionally dead. Sure you can find a bunch of lvl 1 infinitely resetting themselves in starting zones and some "hardcore" guilds doing their own challenge, but there's NOTHING in between.

Seasonal is not fun to play since all you did about it was throwing away blizz's conventional classes and forcing players to play with stupidly random things, most people are there because of the rewards and nothing more, there's no class identity, no real synergy, you won't even look like the "class" you're trying to play, it's simply a random cards game with extra steps, and it's out of your original concept.

Andorhal is not fun to play because it is empty due to two things:

1: Your focus is always on seasonal

2: Balance is being overlooked, reducing the damage certain abilities deal on players is not enough when you still have shadow based casters killing you or anything else in 3 global cooldowns

All this while ignoring TBC, I know you do hope TBC will bring you more people but you'll lose just as many once they realize the flaws in your project idea.

Would be nice to have more support from the community and staff about it, I personally feel no satisfaction in playing the game anywhere else so I really wanted you to succeed, such thing won't happen if this forum stays the echo chamber of useless complaints that it is.

Edited by Hel

I think it's just due to the playerbase really, it's not big enough.

Back when seasonal was first introduced it was to try out new ideas for people who fancied it while still having a large focus on legacy realms but after the hype died down over time, LS and Andorhal just slowly died out and they focused hard on making seasonal hype.

I don't mind seasonal but the same rng draft 3x in a row when the ideation of seasonal was variety is a bit strange

Seasonal as a side project would be okay, instead it became the main focus and it doesn't make any sense, especially after the resources spent on Andorhal.

Is anyone from the staff going to reveal what your goals actually are? it would be nice.

Sure, developer focus is probably in the wrong place, but I feel your outlook on class creation and imbalance is also wrong.

The main appeal of this server is to build and play whatever you want. It's why I've been on-and-off the server since 2017. It's a fun aspect, albeit very niche. However, if you're the kind of person to quit playing your class just because someone did better DPS than you, then I think class fantasy isn't what you wanted from the server. It feels like you wanted to create something OP, and you thought you had a strong idea, but someone else's idea was stronger.

Of course there is going to be imbalance. When you have the option to choose your build with hundreds of spells and talents, that's almost impossible to balance. And that will always be felt the most in PvP. When you play PvP, you're there to win, so of course you would choose the most OP build to guarantee your victory. Take old Titan's Grip for example. I remember a time when it was the be-all and end-all of builds. You'd never see a level 60 without it. Nowadays, sure it's still common, but not everyone has it. There's more variety now than there was when I first played in 2017. Continued spell/talent balance by the developers is good, and I want them to continue it, but this will never be a balanced server.

Imbalance will always exist in a game with asymmetrical play-styles. Even the official Blizzard WoW servers have this issue. There's no absolute fix. And if you're going to quit because someone else out-performed you, then this isn't your game.

I hope you find your interest in class fantasy and build flexibility in the future, and that you do return. Best of luck. 👍

4 minutes ago, Grish said:

Sure, developer focus is probably in the wrong place, but I feel your outlook on class creation and imbalance is also wrong.

The main appeal of this server is to build and play whatever you want. It's why I've been on-and-off the server since 2017. It's a fun aspect, albeit very niche. However, if you're the kind of person to quit playing your class just because someone did better DPS than you, then I think class fantasy isn't what you wanted from the server. It feels like you wanted to create something OP, and you thought you had a strong idea, but someone else's idea was stronger.

Of course there is going to be imbalance. When you have the option to choose your build with hundreds of spells and talents, that's almost impossible to balance. And that will always be felt the most in PvP. When you play PvP, you're there to win, so of course you would choose the most OP build to guarantee your victory. Take old Titan's Grip for example. I remember a time when it was the be-all and end-all of builds. You'd never see a level 60 without it. Nowadays, sure it's still common, but not everyone has it. There's more variety now than there was when I first played in 2017. Continued spell/talent balance by the developers is good, and I want them to continue it, but this will never be a balanced server.

Imbalance will always exist in a game with asymmetrical play-styles. Even the official Blizzard WoW servers have this issue. There's no absolute fix. And if you're going to quit because someone else out-performed you, then this isn't your game.

I hope you find your interest in class fantasy and build flexibility in the future, and that you do return. Best of luck. 👍

Yeah but not really, mine isn't a complaint about class imbalance at all, class imbalance is just a symptom of devs being out of track.

I personally didn't bother much, PvP scenarios right now are either about you winning by a mile or losing by one, there's never a fair fight with fair odds unless you're playing against someone with a very similar setup, I find losing against a similarly specced player more frustrating than being oneshotted by a shadow caster, since I don't take the latter seriously at all, that's the problem.

I'm sure that's what turns new people away from this place, if they stopped focusing on the rng gimmicks and boring forced styles of seasonal and worked more on low/high risk realms and TBC it wouldn't be so empty anymore.

Cant speak for Andho  but LS has worked out like this:

Veterans crush new players
They quit
Some veterans quit as they can no longer crush new players
More veternas leave because population is low
The remaining pop is forced to play on seasonal, were there is life left.

Seasonal does allows new/casual players to be at the same start line, while the rng system can give many an upper hand.
So i can see why its popular, however they should really address the system which overscales everything creating an unplayble gap for some.

Funny the thing about overscaling is i have been moaning about it for 2 years now and everybody disagreed when i pointed at this
aweful RE system that overscales and trap players into specific build types, since then the x5 limit has been reduced to 3
more and more and being limited to 1 and the value of most is continueing to decrease,  it just needs to be removed.

Either way, as it is
i wouldnt expect a new player to join LS and stick around,
They would need to climb a mountan of spikes before its even enjoyable.

Edited by Ashsj1992

And once you're at the peak of that mountain of spikes you lose motivation to keep logging in, since there's no actual endgame thanks to the devs continuously rewriting the basics or adding small client details.

They're very capable and certainly no technical issue would be the reason for them not to continue the work on their original character advancement concept and real endgame content, it must be a management failure of some sort.

Whatever, seems like development is very active but the admins are completely disconnected from this community, they might as well make it their own offline private project at this pace.

Rip

There's no money in making endgame or at least that's what the Dev's think because most of the development is driven by short term gain rather then long term, it's why they've pretty much abandoned everything that's not seasonal. hell they're almost 2 years past their original timeline of releasing tbc now they've just changed the time line to TBD because they never followed it. the honest fact is that they'll keep milking seasonals with minimal change over and over and over and over untill it doesn't make anymore money then they'll release tbc as a new server and force merg both andorhal and LS. they're whole plan on how to deal with the ls/andorhal merg is to just wait untill the population of both servers is so low that there is little resistance  and they can just claim they're doing it to save legacy.

TL:DR legacy is fucked, it was fucked months ago when most of the major guilds and population left. now all that's left is a husk of ascension with 2-5 month long seasonals being released with the same basic idea (draft/wildcard) and some extra short addons to make it look like they've worked hard on it. balanced is fucked and it's easier for them to nerf things then actually fix the problem.