Sign in to follow this  
SebArkaWolf

A new mechanic : Spell Infusion

Posted (edited)

Welcome stranger,

As a fan of the idea of creating builds, classes, I felt that something is missing, a mechanic that could change the way we play, and the way to see some classes.
No more waiting, I call this mechanic "Spell infusion"

Based on the main mechanic of the Magus in the Tabletop "Pathfinder" , the main goal is to allow magic classes to really sinergize with melee classes.
Yet, to be understood I called [Melee strike] only the melee single target spells like Evicerate/Heroic strike/Crusader Strike
In terms of programming here is how it will go:

1. If player use [Infusion]
  2. Then [Next Spell] won't cast
  3. Then [Next Spell] become a [Temporary Enchant]
  4. Then the next [Melee strike] will add the damage calculation of the spell to the [Melee Strike]
  5. Then [Temporary enchant] fade.

Yet, I already ear you : "But adding a spell to a melee could broke the dps meter!" ; "But it ask us to use a lot of keybind" ; "And what about Classic enchant/Poison/Shaman enchant?"
That's why I thought on rules. But keep this in mind: This spell isn't for DPS enhancement, he is here to create new Archetypes.

1. The [Spell] used for [Infusion] will cost x1.5 his normal cost
  2. Only the ["cast" spell] (like Fireball/Frost bolt/Incinerate) can be Infused
  3. Infusion only work on the right weapon ( 2 handed too )
  4. Poison effects / Shaman Enchant are disabled on the weapon that is infused. Yet, when the [Enhanced strike] is use the Poison and Shaman enchants act normaly
  5. If the [Melee strike] inflict a different Crowd Control of the [Spell infused] : the two CC will be apply.
  6. If the [Melee strike] inflict the same Crowd Control of the [Spell infused] : The one inflict by the [Spell] is apply.

In the end, the damage calculation will look like this : ((Melee damage + Talents link to the Melee strike used) + ((Spell damage + Talents link to the Cast Spell used)*0.5))
Note : If some balance must be done, it's on the "0.5", because "you can't change the sharpness of your blade" ... Sorry, roleplayer here.

Ah, by the way. Why don't I speak of Infusing the Hunter's Shot or Bite?
... Because of the [Carefull aim] talent... Yep, I think that the +100% of Intel on the shots + [Infusion] can really be too strong. Yet, I don't know the states of the "Hunter-like" classes / builds, so if there are under everything, why not.
EDIT : Since now I know the state of Hunters builds... No infusion till their not rebalance ^^

Already time for conclusion, thanks for reading the suggestion, I know there is a lot of technical information but I really want everyone to understand that is not just a thrown idea, but something that I have in mind since the very beginning of my ascension adventure and after a little tweet to the @Ascensionfeed, I take my courage and wrote those lines.

I'm also sorry is my english is garbage, I'm a froggy. (french)

Yet, take care of yourself, and have a comfy day. ☺

Edited by SebArkaWolf

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SebArkaWolf said:

... Because of the [Carefull aim] talent... Yep, I think that the +100% of Intel on the shots + [Infusion] can really be too strong. Yet, I don't know the states of the "Hunter-like" classes / builds, so if there are under everything, why not.

Hunter Builds, are one of the best range specs currently. 

Except for Pet Builds even they got buffed.... because if you buff something by 100% that deals 0 damage.... you still have 0 damage.

F Roger 2018 - 2019

Edited by Vedartha

19 hours ago, SebArkaWolf said:

Welcome stranger,

As a fan of the idea of creating builds, classes, I felt that something is missing, a mechanic that could change the way we play, and the way to see some classes.
No more waiting, I call this mechanic "Spell infusion"

Based on the main mechanic of the Magus in the Tabletop "Pathfinder" , the main goal is to allow magic classes to really sinergize with melee classes.
Yet, to be understood I called [Melee strike] only the melee single target spells like Evicerate/Heroic strike/Crusader Strike
In terms of programming here is how it will go:

1. If player use [Infusion]
  2. Then [Next Spell] won't cast
  3. Then [Next Spell] become a [Temporary Enchant]
  4. Then the next [Melee strike] will add the damage calculation of the spell to the [Melee Strike]
  5. Then [Temporary enchant] fade.

Yet, I already ear you : "But adding a spell to a melee could broke the dps meter!" ; "But it ask us to use a lot of keybind" ; "And what about Classic enchant/Poison/Shaman enchant?"
That's why I thought on rules. But keep this in mind: This spell isn't for DPS enhancement, he is here to create new Archetypes.

1. The [Spell] used for [Infusion] will cost x1.5 his normal cost
  2. Only the ["cast" spell] (like Fireball/Frost bolt/Incinerate) can be Infused
  3. Infusion only work on the right weapon ( 2 handed too )
  4. Poison effects / Shaman Enchant are disabled on the weapon that is infused. Yet, when the [Enhanced strike] is use the Poison and Shaman enchants act normaly
  5. If the [Melee strike] inflict a different Crowd Control of the [Spell infused] : the two CC will be apply.
  6. If the [Melee strike] inflict the same Crowd Control of the [Spell infused] : The one inflict by the [Spell] is apply.

In the end, the damage calculation will look like this : ((Melee damage + Talents link to the Melee strike used) + ((Spell damage + Talents link to the Cast Spell used)*0.5))
Note : If some balance must be done, it's on the "0.5", because "you can't change the sharpness of your blade" ... Sorry, roleplayer here.

Already time for conclusion, thanks for reading the suggestion, I know there is a lot of technical information but I really want everyone to understand that is not just a thrown idea, but something that I have in mind since the very beginning of my ascension adventure and after a little tweet to the @Ascensionfeed, I take my courage and wrote those lines.

I'm also sorry is my english is garbage, I'm a froggy. (french)

Yet, take care of yourself, and have a comfy day. ☺

I only understood half of this but I think I'd like this change.

23 hours ago, Vedartha said:

Hunter Builds, are one of the best range specs currently. 

Except for Pet Builds even they got buffed.... because if you buff something by 100% that deals 0 damage.... you still have 0 damage.

F Roger 2018 - 2019

Thanks for the information, it's usefull!

4 hours ago, Hexent said:

I only understood half of this but I think I'd like this change.

What don't you understand, maybe I can explain it better?

So basically a ench shama's Maelstorm Weapon on steroids. I'd rather have expanded spell list on Maelstorm(Shadow Bolt, Smite, Wrath, nerfed Starfire to cover all the damage types, maybe some utility with Polymorph and other CC) then entirely new gimmick. Just having more options to work with Maelstorm will dramatically increase potential variations in gish builds while using alrady established mechanic. And I'd love to see something viable and gish-y that's not based on fire.

And Magus aka "The only spell I know is Shocking Gasp and if I don't spam it, I'm literally useless" is a really, really bad example to copy from. Spell Combat/Spell Strike are way too clunky mechanics that barely work on top of it to serve as a role model. 

19 hours ago, Jandice Barov said:

And Magus aka "The only spell I know is Shocking Gasp and if I don't spam it, I'm literally useless" is a really, really bad example to copy from. Spell Combat/Spell Strike are way too clunky mechanics that barely work on top of it to serve as a role model. 

Vanilla is cluncky on some mechanic ( Paladins Seal is the best exemple ) yet I think with this rules it can work because what Magus lack is control when fighting. Here we don't have the WIS/INT problem to CC. So basicly, we need 3 bind minimum to play a "spellblade" archetype and a lot of imagination 'cause knowing what goes with X spells , won't be that simple.

Yet as I said, Infusion isn't here to create a new TGOP build, just to add new thing to the game.

Posted (edited)

I have to say this sounds incredibly overpowered. 

You're basically turning any cast into an instant cast and the only downside is not being able to use poisons (unless you imbue them?) or enhancements and a 1.5x mana multiplier. 

The downsides to this DO not in any way weigh equal to the positives. If this was more balanced I'd support it. But right now it's ridiculously overpowered.

If I infused my weapon with fireball and I talented fire spells I could easily reach a 2/3k crit that is an instant cast with no prior set up required like Maelstrom weapons stacks needed. 

Even with the damage multiplier you suggested this would still be incredibly powerful just because you're making 'casted' spells instant.

It's a -1 from me I'm sorry. I would not like to see this implemented. If your idea has some more thought and perhaps nerfs it'd be a great idea.

Edited by Tekkies