itswicky

Dev Update #76

On 3/2/2019 at 9:28 AM, itswicky said:

Especially as it becomes more available on gear.

Counterpoint though, we're several months away (at least) from seeing TBC content (and thus Haste on gear). So if this is your reasoning I really don't think it's valid, unless this would be your last balance patch for several months (which obviously is not the case)

If this was in the patch that I imagine will come at the start of TBC, it would make more sense. For a patch at the mid-to-end point of classic, not so much.

Posted (edited)

My two cents. First of all, thank you for fixing Guarded by the Light talent, its good seeing your bug reports being usefull (even if its a coincidence).  

I've been a Holy Light healer for eternity, so seeing the improved crit for Flash of Light was good news.
1) I tried out Illumination once again - and it still is about 20% of mana gained, 5% is Blessing of the Divines, and 75% is Life Tap, and I really was trying to limit tapping. 
2) Recently, there was a nerf to Light's Grace talent, a significant one. If you were to add 4/7/10% of int as mp5 to this talent, and buff Illumination a bit, from 40% to 50%, maybe then it will have a better chance. Holy Light healing talents are pretty much not available to any other spec, so these buffs won't affect anything else. I can't imagine anyone picking up 10% of int as mp5 for 3 TE. 
3) I couldn'r roll Divine Litany, so can't say anything for Divine Favor working with the RE. Honestly, imo, just change Divine Favor cd to 1 min by itself. The idea is good, adding more utility, but no one will take 3 RE for 1 minute cd reduction on a single crit. Especially considering the low pop of Holy Light healers.

And I got really lucky with ALL new priest healing RE's.
1) They work together pretty well, the rotation seems natural. Solid 7k Greater Heals.
2) No mana issues in a PVE build with t1 set and other items from AQ. No need for Life Tap here at all.
3) I don't think it has a chance of being viable in PVP though since heavy talent and RE investment leaves you with zero talents for protection. 

My overall thoughts and feelings:
1) Supply and Demand. If there will be encounters where single target heals are required - then you did a good job with priests. Its a good spec that will have it's place.
If upcoming content is more focused on AoE - Prayer of Healing priests will still be way more stronger and prefered. 

2) I think you need to address holy paladin mana, maybe do something to Benediction. Judgements of the Wise is good - but requires too much AE and TE to compete with damn Life Tap.

Edited by Hysteria

I found 2 bugs while experimenting on ptr
1) fiery weapon enchant(the normal one) doesn't proc anymore. Didn't experimented with the re, maybe its the same.
2) when felguards gain attack power with stacking [Demonic Frenzy] the dmg from [Cleave] should increase too(weapon dmg is scaling with attack power from what i know), but it's like the base dmg of felguard.

Hunter request , could you allow 2 handed wep specialization in the warrior tree to affect range wep by a further 5% or 10% to compensate for the 100 attack power lost from the second rockbiter wep ( as the attack power is affecting all attacks this loss is not compensated by 10% physical damage inc).

Hey Heroes, I hope you've all been well. I'm here today with some updates regarding the PTR. First, though, I want to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to this phase of testing here on the forums, in game, and on discord. We've gotten a lot of great feedback and we really appreciate the community's involvement. Without further ado, here are your new updates that are now live on PTR:

Firebrand Traps- Scaling reduced to 1/2% attack power per RE, no longer triggers from Frost and Freezing Trap, and now only triggers its additional damage from main-hand auto attacks.
Growl- Now usable in Cat and Moonkin forms.
Taunt- Now usable in Metamorphosis form.
Hammer of Wrath- Now considered a melee ability, instead of a ranged attack. This will allow it to proc different effects and should provide better synergies for builds using this spell.
Divine Litany- Now properly procs from Holy Shock damaging casts.
Divine Favor- Cooldown reduced to 1 min, from 2 min.
Fire and Brimstone- Now also increases the damage of Searing Pain against targets affected by your Immolate.
Lightning Bolt- Scaling increased to 76%, from 71.43%.
Chain Lightning- Scaling increased to 61%, from 57%.
Shadow Bolt- Scaling increased to 91%, from 85.69%.
Piercing Ice- Now increases Frost damage by 3/6/9%, from 2/4/6%.
Conflagrate- No longer requires the target to be at least 10 yards from you.

To comment on some of these changes: We saw Firebrand Traps exceeding our expectations quite spectacularly, so we had to make some adjustments there. We both heard and listened to a lot of the feedback we've gotten from the community and most of our other changes listed today are because of you guys. That includes, and is not limited to, the Growl and Taunt changes, the Hammer of Wrath change, the Divine Favor change, and the damage and scaling increases on several spells. Thank you again for being taking your time and being involved in the testing process. We hope to have testing concluded soon on the PTR so that we can get the rest of these updates live.

There is also a new patch that you will need to download to test these new changes. The link from the original post has been updated with the latest patch. The instructions for connecting with this latest patch remain the same as before. Happy testing, and we look forward to hearing more from you in the coming days.

Cat tank and Meta Tanks inc, be Nr. 1 DPS and MT at the same time, now Vampiric Embrace free for all spell types and Metamorphosis can Solo Raid :d

22 minutes ago, itswicky said:

Firebrand Traps- Scaling reduced to 1/2% attack power per RE, no longer triggers from Frost and Freezing Trap, and now only triggers its additional damage from main-hand auto attacks.

With this change will you look in to adding this to hunter auto shots?

It would be a nice addition to the ranged hunter kit and help it compete better with its melee counterpart. Also give me hybrid hunter !!!

Well there was an RE that allowed cat to have ridiculous threat while being a good dmg increase talent as well

While I appreciate normalizing holy casters, and bringing other casters more in line with the damage they dealt. Is there any way you can look into having Holy casters ALSO have a raid utility? If their numbers are reduced below, say, shadow for example Holy becomes obsolete due to it's lack of raid synergistic talents and abilities.

( I .E . Something that, say, adds crit, or 3% damage done to the target, or something to match pace with Shadow and Frost's crit debuffs, Arcane's Earth and moon etc. )

3 minutes ago, Excitebikedx said:

( I .E . Something that, say, adds crit, or 3% damage done to the target, or something to match pace with Shadow and Frost's crit debuffs, Arcane's Earth and moon etc. )

you can get nearly all of this from other trees <.< Sanctified Retribution, Curse of Elements Holy dont need anny duplicates of buffs in its tree

3 minutes ago, Vedartha said:

nearly

Is my point. In terms of viability, shadow is going to win out, and then all the frost-netherwinds that made the jump to Holy due to it's lack of set dependence, will then jump to SB.

Honestly, I've had my differences many times with the dev's. But to be honest after taking a few months break I'm seeing people just constantly bitch over and over about the dev's not doing this and that, hell I'll admite that I did it. these changes are good, lots of interesting changes here and their, people are just whining that their builds getting nerfed but to be honest some of these needed to be nerfed months ago.

And honestly the dev's aren't "killing" your build their are many ways other talents that can be used to cover you build so it's doing within the same range of dps as before. Trust me I played backstab/mutilate and we constantly got our talents changed over and over. Yall  need to take a break jesus,

4 hours ago, SirGank said:

Honestly, I've had my differences many times with the dev's. But to be honest after taking a few months break I'm seeing people just constantly bitch over and over about the dev's not doing this and that, hell I'll admite that I did it. these changes are good, lots of interesting changes here and their

I think this is spot on - these changes are interesting and will cause some changes in the meta and hopefully make it more diverse. My personal opinion is that having talents which everyone takes is boring, so I personally like how these are being reworked. I can't see this causing too much of a problem, it will just take time for people to readjust their builds accordingly.

Can't wait to retry and arcane build now as well as MetaM tank :D

Posted (edited)

I was hoping to see at least ONE bear change. Casters got buffed again like usual, new cool features for hybrids and melee is still mediocre at best. Many friends had to switch to caster or hybrids while they don't even want to, just because it has too many advantages. Server is full of hybrid tanks hybrid dps and casters. pretty disappointed overal.

Caster:

1. similar armor to melee (there is a reason blizzard gave casters less armor...)
  2. have aimed shot for easy 50% healing reduce, (this should not be a thing for casters)
  3. unlimited mana pool
  4. spellpower gives healing + damage 
  5. A lot of talents, items, spells that only affect on physical damage (disarm effects, damage taken on hit, speed increase on hit. etc.)

The conclusion are immortal casters who can melt people in 3 hits because fuck armor, instant heal themself full, have mana at all times and unlimited escape spells. (want to catch me? good luck with blink, disengage, deterrence, scattershot, dragons breath, blastwave/typhoon, shadow fury, slow etc)

One fun update I'd like to see is shadowform and melee shadow damage to be affected with vampiric embrace for a shadow melee build. (maybe a legendary shadowform RE that changes your melee abilities to shadow damage)

Edited by ChaoticDjin
more details

12 hours ago, itswicky said:

Hey Heroes, I hope you've all been well. I'm here today with some updates regarding the PTR. First, though, I want to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to this phase of testing here on the forums, in game, and on discord. We've gotten a lot of great feedback and we really appreciate the community's involvement. Without further ado, here are your new updates that are now live on PTR:

Growl- Now usable in Cat and Moonkin forms.
Taunt- Now usable in Metamorphosis form.
Hammer of Wrath- Now considered a melee ability, instead of a ranged attack. This will allow it to proc different effects and should provide better synergies for builds using this spell.
Divine Litany- Now properly procs from Holy Shock damaging casts.
Divine Favor- Cooldown reduced to 1 min, from 2 min.
Fire and Brimstone- Now also increases the damage of Searing Pain against targets affected by your Immolate.
Lightning Bolt- Scaling increased to 76%, from 71.43%.
Chain Lightning- Scaling increased to 61%, from 57%.
Shadow Bolt- Scaling increased to 91%, from 85.69%.
Piercing Ice- Now increases Frost damage by 3/6/9%, from 2/4/6%.
Conflagrate- No longer requires the target to be at least 10 yards from you.

To comment on some of these changes: We saw Firebrand Traps exceeding our expectations quite spectacularly, so we had to make some adjustments there. We both heard and listened to a lot of the feedback we've gotten from the community and most of our other changes listed today are because of you guys. That includes, and is not limited to, the Growl and Taunt changes, the Hammer of Wrath change, the Divine Favor change, and the damage and scaling increases on several spells. Thank you again for being taking your time and being involved in the testing process. We hope to have testing concluded soon on the PTR so that we can get the rest of these updates live.

There is also a new patch that you will need to download to test these new changes. The link from the original post has been updated with the latest patch. The instructions for connecting with this latest patch remain the same as before. Happy testing, and we look forward to hearing more from you in the coming days.

The Hammer of Wrath change is fantastic. Is there any possibility of slightly buffing the Purifying Power RE since it can no longer by stacked 5 times ? Would help some ret pally based builds that relies less on seals and more on exorcism and hammer of wrath.

Also, Lava Lash is still bugged. Right now in PTR, you still need to re-equip your weapons after casting Flametongue for it to work properly.

Holy Priest is looking better but they might still be lacking in REs. I dunno if this is the place to ask but does the RE Twin Disciplines work on instant cast procs from Surge of Light?

Just now, MonkaS said:

Holy Priest is looking better but they might still be lacking in REs. I dunno if this is the place to ask but does the RE Twin Disciplines work on instant cast procs from Surge of Light?

I think holy casters are fine, they had ridiculous damage for months on end, not to mention some of the better re's and leg re, I think it would be better to focus on less used talents and re's.

11 hours ago, MonkaS said:

It does not. Only spells which are instant cast baseline.

On 3/5/2019 at 4:55 AM, mecar said:

The Hammer of Wrath change is fantastic. Is there any possibility of slightly buffing the Purifying Power RE since it can no longer by stacked 5 times ? Would help some ret pally based builds that relies less on seals and more on exorcism and hammer of wrath.

It's unlikely since Exorcism has a ton of modifiers currently and we don't want that getting out of hand.

On 3/5/2019 at 4:55 AM, mecar said:

Also, Lava Lash is still bugged. Right now in PTR, you still need to re-equip your weapons after casting Flametongue for it to work properly.

Thanks, I've made a report on this issue and we'll get it looked at.

On 3/5/2019 at 4:04 AM, ChaoticDjin said:

I was hoping to see at least ONE bear change.

We have a few updates to some of their REs in the notes if you missed them, but overall we're pretty happy with the state of bears atm.

As far as your comments on caster power in PvP, our next planned update revolves very much around the power of casters in both PvP and PvE and more importantly their sustain in PvP. We'll get working on that as soon as this update is complete.

Please bring back that frostbrand cause proc fingers of frost , it was working as intended , you just killed whole frost hybrid spec remowing this mechanic

1 minute ago, downonknees said:

Please bring back that frostbrand cause proc fingers of frost , it was working as intended , you just killed whole frost hybrid spec remowing this mechanic

Did this stop working on the PTR, or is this an older report?

1 hour ago, itswicky said:
1 hour ago, downonknees said:

Did this stop working on the PTR, or is this an older report?

thats so old i remember people complaing since i startet playing here last october

We've just got another update on PTR. This update includes a few minor tweaks to some new REs and bug fixes. Here is an incomplete list of changes:

Direct Command- Damage bonus reduced to 15%, from 25%.
Firebrand Traps- Can once again trigger from all melee autos, but no has a 1.5 sec ICD.
Honor Among Thieves- Can now trigger from ranged abilities.
Hammer of Wrath- Previous changes reverted. Is once again considered a ranged ability, which is blizzlike.
Slightly increased the damage of the following abilities in PvP: Thunderclap, Explosive Shot, Serpent Sting, Mongoose Bite, Ambush.
You should once again be able to mount in major cities.
Other minor bug fixes.

On the note of the PvP damage mod changes, there were a few problematic abilities in the beginning of Season 2 which we felt we may have hit upon a bit too hard. We're giving them a small amount of power back in this current build on the PTR, and we'll continue to closely monitor their performance to ensure they do not get out of hand once again. Also, there is a new patch which will allow you to test out these changes and the link in the original post has been updated.

We are still working on putting the finishing touches on our changes, but we expect them to be live soon. We only have a few more minor bug fixes to address.

37 minutes ago, Vedartha said:

thats so old i remember people complaing since i startet playing here last october

I'm aware that it's an old report, but I was wondering if he was referring to the fact that it was working on a previous version of the PTR this past week and it was since removed. We have a lot of changes with this PTR build compared to live, so some of our bug fixes have been difficult to keep track of.