itswicky

Dev Update #76

1 hour ago, wutm8 said:

Really dont understand that change at all. Do you even play the same game? This is really bad. I would rather have reworked at shit talent like arcane fortitude which in of it self are useless and never picked by anyone with more than a dozen braincells. This is change isnt necessary, pick another talent. And you know there are alot of useless talents out there. 

Man what kind of post is that. Are YOU even playing the same game? How is removing boring % stat talents "really bad". Sure Arcane fortitude could use a change but that doesn't mean netherwind shouldn't get changed too. This obviously isn't about changing a "bad" talent but changing "boring" % stat talents. Something they've been doing for a while now. Instead of a no-brainer 6% haste talents that everyone picks anyway it now is 12% haste on a procc for a build that really needed some help.

Also all the boring melee talents have been nerfed or reworked in the previous patches and it was about time they start hitting some of the boring caster ones. And let's face it... casters are getting wayyyyy too much haste in this game.

Man, still no new changes to hunters. Last time I saw a change to hunter playstyle was when we got poisons and that was years ago

5 hours ago, Mikkiller93 said:

Man what kind of post is that. Are YOU even playing the same game? How is removing boring % stat talents "really bad". Sure Arcane fortitude could use a change but that doesn't mean netherwind shouldn't get changed too. This obviously isn't about changing a "bad" talent but changing "boring" % stat talents. Something they've been doing for a while now. Instead of a no-brainer 6% haste talents that everyone picks anyway it now is 12% haste on a procc for a build that really needed some help.

Also all the boring melee talents have been nerfed or reworked in the previous patches and it was about time they start hitting some of the boring caster ones. And let's face it... casters are getting wayyyyy too much haste in this game.

Wouldn't be a dev update without Schlotzer being a drama queen :^) Update = complete

Regardless of Schlotzer, losing the 6% spell haste from NPresence is a huge blow to pretty much any caster or healer. Not too sure why this talent had to take this hit :/ 

If nether presence is getting a rework, I hope you are going to add the 5% haste rating to spellmastery to compensate for the loss of haste a little. Then it wouldn't be as bad. 

Also, is it possible to add a spell to the new RE Dark Embrace? Mindflay would be cool for us rotation casters. 

I dont think judgment needed a 20% nerf while exorcism gets a 20% buff, not many judgments runnin around but holy casting is already strong

Why is Firebrand Traps scaling off of Melee AP and not for instance Ranged AP or even whichever is highest? 

Why does the Firebrand Traps not effect hunter auto shots?

You have seemingly created a nice unique way to incorporate traps in to game-play but have seemingly ignored its roots. I enjoy this addition with traps as it makes them a valuable addition to builds but you are gimping its capabilities a little bit by having the scaling base itself off of melee ap. The trap if given a whichever is highest ap scenario on the scaling would benefit a lot more builds from hybrids to melee hunters, but right now the potential of the trap re is being stunted in my opinion.

There is also the fact that the firebrand traps do not effect ranged hunter shots and since the RE change to 3 slots, ranged hunters have basically had to fill that void with imp poisons or % stats, whereas this trap RE could be a very nice filler for that gap and potentially boost ranged hunter dps up to a more competitive level.

I could be wrong in my assumptions here and what i'm stating are purely bugs but I am delighted with this new RE and would love to see traps becoming a lot more useful in raids.

Un-normalize bows please.  Enough variety now and shots hunters certainly need some sort of buff.  

Pls change the Find Weakness RE from flat dmg to Crit Chance aswell as you did with the Talent

21 hours ago, Mikkiller93 said:

boring % stat talents

Boring? To you maybe, but for others who used this talent it might have been an important and fun talent for their build.

21 hours ago, Mikkiller93 said:

Instead of a no-brainer 6% haste talents that everyone picks anyway it now is 12% haste on a procc for a build that really needed some help.

Lol, it's still a "nobrainer" talent though, wdym? But ye, instead of having more builds being able utilize this talent, let's completely rework it so only one specific build can benefit from it. Good job, very good job! 

See, this is such a good example of whats wrong with the ascension "balance" team - they ALWAYS change random stuff without EVER giving ANY thoughts on how it's gonna affect other builds than the builds they are trying to target. 

20 minutes ago, AG007 said:

See, this is such a good example of whats wrong with the ascension "balance" team - they ALWAYS change random stuff without EVER giving ANY thoughts on how it's gonna affect other builds than the builds they are trying to target. 

Yeah, we suck.

3 minutes ago, itswicky said:

Yeah, we suck.

You said that, not me 🙂 But nice to see that you at least got some self awareness! 😄

31 minutes ago, AG007 said:

Yeah, I don't see that here, but thanks for you feedback on our most recent PTR changes which are up for testing! We always appreciate hearing from our community and we feed off their energy. 

19 minutes ago, itswicky said:

I don't see that here, but thanks for you feedback

lol, I have given you plenty of feedback throughout my time here, but you don't know who I am, so you wouldn't know. Unfortunatly my feedback has fallen on deaf ears, or so it seems, because even though you have responded to me saying "I'll look into it" or "I'll bring it up with the team!" nothing ever happens and I have never got any feedback in return so I never know whether you actually did look into it or not.

And now you are sitting here, with an attitude when i'm confronting you with a problem that is known to everyone who has played your server for as long as I have. Kinda pathetic isn't it?

2 minutes ago, AG007 said:

And now you are sitting here, with an attitude when i'm confronting you with a problem that is known to everyone who has played your server for as long as I have. Kinda pathetic isn't it?

I'm confused on who has an attitude here. Anyway I know who you are. You've been playing on the server for years. It's discouraging to be constantly met with this kind of attitude on the forums. Everyone is of course entitled to their opinions and feelings. It's simply disheartening to work for many hours every day for weeks and with few days off to try and improve the game and to get me with such hostility at the end of it all based on one change. And we can completely understand why some people would be upset with this specific change. We expected it to some extent. But we were resolved to make a change that we thought would make the game better in the long run, but to also be sure to put it on our TEST server before pushing it live and gathering data on feedback on the change before going through with it.

We feel strongly that we've been improving the state of the game over the last few months. We understand if you, and others, feel differently. Again, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. We've also been making a lot of changes that are more targeted towards the new player experience, which has left you, our veteran player base, feeling a bit left out and perhaps alienated. It's not that we don't appreciate our veterans. On the contrary, we love you guys. But we know that we need to continue to make changes that will favor newer players if we are going to have a lasting project and community for the months and years to come.

And I apologize if I showed an attitude towards you. Developers get frustrated to from time to time. I appreciate your time and devotion to the project you've given us over the years. And while I promise that I cannot always act on all feedback given to us, I do promise that I always listen and always share. At the end of the day, however, we make decisions as a team, so even I myself have limited power. If there are any other changes listed that you are unhappy with I'd be happy to address them, and if there are any changes you are glad to see I'd love to hear about it.

4 hours ago, itswicky said:

I'm confused on who has an attitude here. Anyway I know who you are. You've been playing on the server for years. It's discouraging to be constantly met with this kind of attitude on the forums. Everyone is of course entitled to their opinions and feelings. It's simply disheartening to work for many hours every day for weeks and with few days off to try and improve the game and to get me with such hostility at the end of it all based on one change. And we can completely understand why some people would be upset with this specific change. We expected it to some extent. But we were resolved to make a change that we thought would make the game better in the long run, but to also be sure to put it on our TEST server before pushing it live and gathering data on feedback on the change before going through with it.

We feel strongly that we've been improving the state of the game over the last few months. We understand if you, and others, feel differently. Again, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. We've also been making a lot of changes that are more targeted towards the new player experience, which has left you, our veteran player base, feeling a bit left out and perhaps alienated. It's not that we don't appreciate our veterans. On the contrary, we love you guys. But we know that we need to continue to make changes that will favor newer players if we are going to have a lasting project and community for the months and years to come.

And I apologize if I showed an attitude towards you. Developers get frustrated to from time to time. I appreciate your time and devotion to the project you've given us over the years. And while I promise that I cannot always act on all feedback given to us, I do promise that I always listen and always share. At the end of the day, however, we make decisions as a team, so even I myself have limited power. If there are any other changes listed that you are unhappy with I'd be happy to address them, and if there are any changes you are glad to see I'd love to hear about it.

The thing is though, isnt that you are changing a single talent to buff a single build. But a core talent that would affect 6+ builds. It is insight that we are wondering about. This is a major change, and there a plentora of talents in the arcane tree that needs reworking where you can apply this change.

Please Let Hammer of wrath generate Combo points from honor among thieves and proc deep wounds ret specs are clunky without this 

1 hour ago, wutm8 said:

The thing is though, isnt that you are changing a single talent to buff a single build. But a core talent that would affect 6+ builds. It is insight that we are wondering about. This is a major change, and there a plentora of talents in the arcane tree that needs reworking where you can apply this change.

To be fair, we're changing a lot more than 1 talent, but I understand the implications and we aren't ignorant of it. It would have helped if I could have elaborated on each individual change, I know, but I simply didn't have the time to do it because of the amount of changes going through.

So to elaborate now, the idea was that we did not want players to be able to pick up so much passive haste collectively through talents moving forward. Especially as it becomes more available on gear. We had plans to compensate this change with some of the other changes coming in this pack, like buffs to Fire. We understand that a handful of builds would need to spend their points elsewhere, but there's not a great deal of builds who use every 2% haste talent, yes we know there are several, but many of them have strong options to take, which would result in a minimal dps loss. Finally, most caster builds who would be losing out slightly on haste are generally the higher performing builds, from what we've seen, and we are planning on reworking the Spell Mastery ability in our next update which would allow us to bring all caster builds to a much closer place damage and healing wise.

If you'd like to let us know here what build you are playing that will be losing with this change because you are already investing 11 points in 2% haste talents then please let us know here and we can start to collect data so we can better prepare.

13 hours ago, tumnus0028 said:

Why is Firebrand Traps scaling off of Melee AP and not for instance Ranged AP or even whichever is highest? 

Why does the Firebrand Traps not effect hunter auto shots?

You have seemingly created a nice unique way to incorporate traps in to game-play but have seemingly ignored its roots. I enjoy this addition with traps as it makes them a valuable addition to builds but you are gimping its capabilities a little bit by having the scaling base itself off of melee ap. The trap if given a whichever is highest ap scenario on the scaling would benefit a lot more builds from hybrids to melee hunters, but right now the potential of the trap re is being stunted in my opinion.

There is also the fact that the firebrand traps do not effect ranged hunter shots and since the RE change to 3 slots, ranged hunters have basically had to fill that void with imp poisons or % stats, whereas this trap RE could be a very nice filler for that gap and potentially boost ranged hunter dps up to a more competitive level.

I could be wrong in my assumptions here and what i'm stating are purely bugs but I am delighted with this new RE and would love to see traps becoming a lot more useful in raids.

@itswicky any chance you are looking in to altering this re to at least effect hunter shots as well as melee autos or are you happy as it is?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, itswicky said:

It's simply disheartening to work for many hours every day for weeks and with few days off to try and improve the game and to get me with such hostility at the end of it all based on one change. And we can completely understand why some people would be upset with this specific change.

Well, for me personally, it's not about this one specific change but rather your way of balancing in general. What ruined it for me and made me quit this server was the 3 limit RE change ontop of the crazy amount of nerfs, that you have been pulling out ever since the release of seasonal 2 and some time before that, which lead to many builds as well as my own to become less viable, if viable at all. A lot of the nerfs that you've done during S2 seems completely unnecessary and out of place, and what really set me off, is that you made these changes based on the meta and state of S2 and then later implement them on live servers that has a totally different meta and state. It still boggles my mind why you would ever do that.

Anyway, I don't want it to sound like i'm trying to teach you how to do stuff on your server, but why is it, that you aren't buffing/reworking talents and spells that don't see any play, so that it perhaps could be possible counters to the top performing builds or at least be viable to see play? I'm not saying that you can't or never should nerf things, but I strongly believe that if you focused more on buffing as well as continue to release more random enchants for players to utilize, then whenever you have to change or nerf something it wouldn't be such a big punishment because players would have more options. 

Ontop of the nerfs to talents, spells and RE's you also nerfed racials for some races so they are no longer viable in lvl60 end game. Not only was the changes to racial unnecessary and unfun, it is literally a scam to all those people who spend real money or in-game currency to faction change, so unless you are going to make racials pickable, players should at least be given the option to faction change once for free.

I suppose you guys are aware of this but i'm going to say it anyway; it's important that you understand, on a server like this, when you nerf one thing then chances are that it will affect a lot of builds, even if the nerf isn't very big, it might be the final nail in the coffin for some build. So when you keep nerfing things, over and over eventually the diversity of builds will be gone and we will be left with only a few viable builds, which isn't really fun and I highly doubt that its the intention of this server to end that way. Using my own build as an example, it has received a lot of nerfs directly as well as indirectly. For a long run, I've been able to tweak my build to some extent to somewhat keep it the same, but in the end I pretty much ran out of options and unfortunately I haven't been able to do anything to make up for the nerfs done to racials, arcane power, fired up etc. + 3 RE limit. And now with the nerfs to the random enchants Critical Mass, Playing With Fire and Fire Power, there is just no coming back.
But that's how it goes, and I hope you can see why this sucks for someone has comitted a lot of time in your server - there is just no joy in that.

6 hours ago, itswicky said:

which has left you, our veteran player base, feeling a bit left out and perhaps alienated.

Yes, it really feels like that. You do so much for the new players which is appreciated i'm sure.. by new players.. but you need to remember that we veteran player has also been "new players" once, and Ascension surely wasn't perfect back when we started either, but yet here we are. My point is, maybe you guys should make up a new strategy which favors both new and old players. 

I'm going to end this post with saying that I understand your frustration as a developer and I understand that you can't make everyone happy and while it can be discouraging to come here and see idiots like me rant about different stuff that you guys did or didn't do, you have to remember that we're not trying to be disrespectful or piss on your guys but rather trying to help to be honest. I haven't played on your server for at least 2 months now and yet I still watch your stream and watch out for any update that could catch my interest to come back, unfortunatly it's not here yet.

Edited by AG007

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, itswicky said:

To be fair, we're changing a lot more than 1 talent, but I understand the implications and we aren't ignorant of it. It would have helped if I could have elaborated on each individual change, I know, but I simply didn't have the time to do it because of the amount of changes going through.

So to elaborate now, the idea was that we did not want players to be able to pick up so much passive haste collectively through talents moving forward. Especially as it becomes more available on gear. We had plans to compensate this change with some of the other changes coming in this pack, like buffs to Fire. We understand that a handful of builds would need to spend their points elsewhere, but there's not a great deal of builds who use every 2% haste talent, yes we know there are several, but many of them have strong options to take, which would result in a minimal dps loss. Finally, most caster builds who would be losing out slightly on haste are generally the higher performing builds, from what we've seen, and we are planning on reworking the Spell Mastery ability in our next update which would allow us to bring all caster builds to a much closer place damage and healing wise.

If you'd like to let us know here what build you are playing that will be losing with this change because you are already investing 11 points in 2% haste talents then please let us know here and we can start to collect data so we can better prepare.

Everything execpt shadowbolt +hots. If it scales with spell haste it gets specced.  It simple really casters/healers needs it because of the shenanigans in aq40, and i almost expect that nax will be much of the same. And haste wont be on gear until raidtiers in tbc. 

And what do you mean reworking? 

Also, this just another unnescessary nerf to caster dps/healing. That would affect a shitton of builds. I expect that few builds now would be come completely unviable such as healing wave based builds and elemental shamans.

If the change is because of tbc, then you change it in that seting in tbc. Not in vanilla.

Edited by wutm8

I was under the impression we were getting PTR this weekend...? 

Is that still on the table?

15 minutes ago, Krark said:

I was under the impression we were getting PTR this weekend...? 

The PTR should be up and running! You just need to have the patch from the link at the start of this post
Remember that this patch is only suitable for the PTR and not for the live realms!

8 minutes ago, Lost said:

The PTR should be up and running! You just need to have the patch from the link at the start of this post
Remember that this patch is only suitable for the PTR and not for the live realms!

Thats what I thought, but I keep getting "Character Creation on this realm is currently disabled."

Is this just me.. where did I go wrong :*(

Just now, Krark said:

Thats what I thought, but I keep getting "Character Creation on this realm is currently disabled."

You need to make a character transfer from one of the live realms. You do this through our donation store, there's a 0DP option on all realms

Just now, Lost said:

You need to make a character transfer from one of the live realms. You do this through our donation store, there's a 0DP option on all realms

Oh, thanks! I skipped out on a lot of season 2, when I last played ptr we just made the characters >.<
Thanks for clearing things up!