Sign in to follow this  
Mosorentor

Wild Card Suggestion

Everyone 10 levels or so you shuold get to choose one spell to re-roll in case you get a completely useless spell along the way - this will help make things a little more enjoyable in case you got really bad rolls.

I'd recommend that one should be capable of selecting ONE SPELL from a randomized list of three spells in order to increase one's possibility of attaining a decent or acceptable spell.

I think that's a bad idea. The problem with Wildcard right now (in my opinion), is that it's to easy to get an optimal build. You've got some bad abilites? Just start over, level up to 20 and decide if you want to continue or start over again. With the bonus experience you get on season 3 realms, this process takes minutes. MINUTES. I've talked with people that made perfect Hunter, Bear and Fire Mage build because they rerolled until they got what they wanted. The Dice of Destiny might be fun for a while. but it's just a bridge to reach optimal builds. You want Sinister Strike, Heroic Strike, Battle Stance and Rend? You can, but you won't be leaving the starting zone for a while (and yes, I've tried that).

What's the point of "Wildcard" if you're able to achieve the same thing as on a normal realm? 

As I said in the beginning, the problem with Wildcard is that it's to easy to reroll and start over. I'm no game designer, but here are a few ideas to fix this "problem". My aim is to discurage the need to start over and/or make the Dice of Destiny less important: 

- Increase the experience needed to level from 1-20. This would not fix the problem, but it would discourage players from starting over since it will be slower to reroll. 

- Amazing Warlock abilites such as Fear, Lifetap, Imp are moved to a higher level tier. Many of these abilites are great no matter what you're playing, so making them less accessible would lower the overall power of each build (and reward lucky players, as it should be). Feel free to replace them with Drain Life, Searing Pain and Create Healthstone.

- 1 character per realm. Dice of Destiny is gone and your character can't be deleted or remade.  This one is a bit extreme, but I actually think this would be the best solution. Each build would be unique and you'd be stuck with what you get. Some will be lucky while others might be unlucky. Scrolls of Fortune would still be around to aid any poor sod with bad rng.

- 1 character per realm. Dice of Destiny is gone and your character can't be deleted or remade. **You get a new character slot when you reach level 60 with a character.** A mild version of the one above. 

What do you think?

50 minutes ago, warrh said:

I think that's a bad idea. The problem with Wildcard right now (in my opinion), is that it's to easy to get an optimal build. You've got some bad abilites? Just start over, level up to 20 and decide if you want to continue or start over again. With the bonus experience you get on season 3 realms, this process takes minutes. MINUTES. I've talked with people that made perfect Hunter, Bear and Fire Mage build because they rerolled until they got what they wanted. The Dice of Destiny might be fun for a while. but it's just a bridge to reach optimal builds. You want Sinister Strike, Heroic Strike, Battle Stance and Rend? You can, but you won't be leaving the starting zone for a while (and yes, I've tried that).

What's the point of "Wildcard" if you're able to achieve the same thing as on a normal realm? 

As I said in the beginning, the problem with Wildcard is that it's to easy to reroll and start over. I'm no game designer, but here are a few ideas to fix this "problem". My aim is to discurage the need to start over and/or make the Dice of Destiny less important: 

- Increase the experience needed to level from 1-20. This would not fix the problem, but it would discourage players from starting over since it will be slower to reroll. 

- Amazing Warlock abilites such as Fear, Lifetap, Imp are moved to a higher level tier. Many of these abilites are great no matter what you're playing, so making them less accessible would lower the overall power of each build (and reward lucky players, as it should be). Feel free to replace them with Drain Life, Searing Pain and Create Healthstone.

- 1 character per realm. Dice of Destiny is gone and your character can't be deleted or remade.  This one is a bit extreme, but I actually think this would be the best solution. Each build would be unique and you'd be stuck with what you get. Some will be lucky while others might be unlucky. Scrolls of Fortune would still be around to aid any poor sod with bad rng.

- 1 character per realm. Dice of Destiny is gone and your character can't be deleted or remade. **You get a new character slot when you reach level 60 with a character.** A mild version of the one above. 

What do you think?

The last option seems suitable since it would force players to play the hardcore version of "Wildcard" while being rewarded with the option to create a completely different character at level 60.

18 hours ago, warrh said:

What do you think?

I think that's a great idea. I signed up to play wow in a fresh way that random classless provides but knowing that there are players who will re-roll for hours to get a perfect set of skills is frustrating because i'm forced to do the same if i want to compete with them.

Posted (edited)

On 5/15/2019 at 5:48 AM, Sidereus said:

Yeah I like this a lot as well, Wildcard doesn't really feel random but it isn't because there's too many rerolls available, it's because all of the best "core" abilities to make the strongest builds are skills you can attain between levels 1-10. (aka, starter skills that can be rerolled into infinitely) 

So, to break it down:

-Simply removing the Dice or limiting its uses at lvl 1 doesn't solve the issue since someone can remake a character.

-Making reroll scrolls less plentiful doesn't solve the issue either since you really only need them after level 10, which is after you've gotten your perfect setup to begin with.

Options are kind of limited then; to either A. The above quoted suggestion or B. Changing the levels that certain skills can be gotten out of the 1-10 levels and moving them up the chain to higher levels, where they're harder to attain. (The big culprits, everyone knows what they are)

I don't know much about how the inner workings behind either of these options work, but I do agree that something needs to be changed heavily if we're to get a true wildcard server, not a normal "pick your abilities"-lite server. 

Bear in mind though, that if players don't have as much access to powerful things a larger percentage of the time, then the content will innately be more difficult for most, and may need to be tweaked also which would definitely require work either way.

Edited by Msctx

6 hours ago, Msctx said:

Options are kind of limited then; to either A. The above quoted suggestion or B. Changing the levels that certain skills can be gotten out of the 1-10 levels and moving them up the chain to higher levels, where they're harder to attain. (The big culprits, everyone knows what they are)

Yup! Combining both are probably overkill, but one of those would make wildcard more enjoyable for me. 

Dice of Destiny is gone and your character can't be deleted or remade.  This one is a bit extreme, but I actually think this would be the best solution. Each build would be unique and you'd be stuck with what you get. Some will be lucky while others might be unlucky. Scrolls of Fortune would still be around to aid any poor sod with bad rng.

Hypothetical scenario. You roll Arcane Intellect, Eviscerate, Life Tap, Fade and Defensive Stance. You can't reroll. You can't deal any damage. By the time your tears have dried, your rival with Sinister Strike, Heroic Strike, Battle Stance and Rend has hit level 20. Yeah okay, sure, we've got professions to somewhat allow you to grind out levels. So it might not turn out for the worst in the end.

But it misses the point. Everyone and their pet dog is rerolling. It's not a fun process. It's not a beautiful process. It's not a meanginful process. 

People will always do this min-max stuff. It's unavoidable. I'm having immense difficulty keeping to a true wildcard system and solving this start problem. You want people to make their character and go right? Go play the game, not play a glorified slot machine for hours on end. So force them on a single roll and go. But  nobody's waiting to kill things with a 20x as long TTK as someone who actually got some meaningful skills at the start.

I get that the concept of the forced wildcard servers is the risk, intrique, excitement of not knowing what happens next. But at some point you have to compromise on the wildcard realism. You need a ruleset of mechanics that enables a baseline of fun for everyone. That might mean abandoning some of your principles on what wildcard is to get things going. Give a caster a wrath or a fireball. Give the tank his thunderclap. Give the DPS his sinister strike. 

It's either that, or rerolling for 5 minutes to 8 hours. Or being stuck autoattacking mobs to death for 20 levels while Xxdankweedkillx clears his fifth dungeon. With his ill-gotten high risk gear because he had abilities to kill things. Or a pacifist run where you live off the land and its bountiful resources.

At least, that's how I've experienced things thus far.

12 hours ago, damascus said:

I get that the concept of the forced wildcard servers is the risk, intrique, excitement of not knowing what happens next. But at some point you have to compromise on the wildcard realism. You need a ruleset of mechanics that enables a baseline of fun for everyone. That might mean abandoning some of your principles on what wildcard is to get things going. Give a caster a wrath or a fireball. Give the tank his thunderclap. Give the DPS his sinister strike. 

In my ideal wildcard mode, the option to pick even one skill ruins it (people will min/max and pick the best). With that said, I think a guaranteed random damaging skill would be an awesome addition to avoid the whole "auto attack until level 20". 

Allow you to pick 2 skills at level 1. 

Everything else is random from lvl 10 onward. 

At level 20 you get to pick 1 or 2 skills.