itswicky

Dev Update #71

Personally I really like the hunter 5 set proc itself, but like Renamed I feel that putting it on Aimed/Multi-shot is a huge waste. Multi-shot especially, there is next to no reason anyone should be using that over Volley in any situation. It's just simply out-performed in every way. The three set bonus though, that's a major letdown. I can only really echo what others have said, being that having the set bonus literally be a carbon copy of an RE/talent rank is a isn't exciting at all and goes against the entire goal of these set bonus changes.

4 hours ago, itswicky said:

Rogue

(3) Using a Rogue finisher has a 2% chance per combo point to generate 5 combo points.
(5) You gain stacks of Stalking every 2 seconds. Stalking increases your attack power by 20 and stacks up to 10 times. Upon reaching 10 stacks they reset.

I'll start this description off by saying we know some people may be disappointed by the Evasion bonus change. The reasons we made this change were many, but two of the bigger ones were the fact that we're currently seeing Bear tanks on Ascension start to handily out perform the other tank builds in most situations. This is not purely a balance or numbers issue, although we believe this to be part of it, but it also has to do with how many of the fights on Ascension are currently designed. That said, we will be making a pass at tanks in the future, but we want to first go through melees and also collect more information on 2H tanks and how it is performing comparatively to other tanks. The other reason is this set will already be very popular for melee due to its stats and therefore will certainly see much use in PvP. Having such a strong defensive in PvP on such a short cooldown is another thing we wanted to avoid with the previous bonus. 

So this is where we ended up. We wanted this set to be a bit more simple, and we like where we ended up with the 5 set. I'll note here that just because this time around the Rogue set has some less complex bonuses doesn't mean we can't do something really fun and exciting with the future sets. And that's true for all the sets. This is only our set time redoing sets after all. I'd like to briefly point out the three piece as well. We know the common way to play rogue builds at the moment isn't really centered on using Finishers much, or barely at all, but again we will be going through melee specs in the near future and this may be changing.

I think you should make the 5 set bonus decrease after it goes up to 10 stacks, making it suddenly drop off after getting 200 ap for two seconds feels off putting, making it go from 200 down to 180,160,140 sect will give it an ebb and flow which will make the set bonus feel a lot more smooth and rewarding.

The three set bonus feels like a low priority talent tbh, Players that focus on combo point generation already generate a ton of combo points and this set bonus isn't strong enough to really help or change their build. I'd say give it another 10% or change to something like gives you a 10% change to gain 25% armor pen for 10 seconds.

Edited by SirGank

I mean, if we had melee hunter, attkspeed hunter, pethunter, aimed/arc shot hunter all able to do 4+ (5+) then isn't that just a sign of good design? (If we want all speccs to be 'viable')

Why then push a setbonus that will only affect one of them? 

Icy Veins: Generates 2 stacks of Fingers of Frost when used and resets the cooldown of your Deep Freeze and increases its damage by 100%.

I can see this being an issue in pvp since cold snap already resets both cooldowns at the same time. Especially with its 100% dammage boost its gonna get very close if not equal to the current holy damage power in pvp. Dont forget if you can't get stunned, you are getting heavily damaged by this ability, so chaining stun spells to get a DR instantly causes damage with this spell if chained after wards. And getting frozen isn't difficult to do considering you can just max range frostshock for it or close range frost nova. (Hand of freedom for instance, is a insta deep freeze damage in this case.)

Deep freeze->Icy veins->Deep freeze->Cold snap (resets both freeze and icy veins)->Deep freeze->Icy veins->Deep freeze

Its a huge chunk of hp considering icy veins will increase its damage by 100% alongside giving free stacks of fingers of frost, which is an direct hit by deep freeze without the need to initialy freeze the target.

Correct me if im wrong, if I didn't put things into calculation, you could dispell it surely, in heat of battle though, and gcd present, will you spend spamming purge,dispell or try to blink away to safety and seek terrain for cover. Even the stacking of 2p pvp set to gain 60 ressilience isn't gonna save you here

Appearantly, and against my recollection aswell: deep freeze deals no dmg to players even when stun immune.

31 minutes ago, Soklava45 said:

Icy Veins: Generates 2 stacks of Fingers of Frost when used and resets the cooldown of your Deep Freeze and increases its damage by 100%.

I can see this being an issue in pvp since cold snap already resets both cooldowns at the same time. Especially with its 100% dammage boost its gonna get very close if not equal to the current holy damage power in pvp. Dont forget if you can't get stunned, you are getting heavily damaged by this ability, so chaining stun spells to get a DR instantly causes damage with this spell if chained after wards. And getting frozen isn't difficult to do considering you can just max range frostshock for it or close range frost nova. (Hand of freedom for instance, is a insta deep freeze damage in this case.)

Deep freeze->Icy veins->Deep freeze->Cold snap (resets both freeze and icy veins)->Deep freeze->Icy veins->Deep freeze

Its a huge chunk of hp considering icy veins will increase its damage by 100% alongside giving free stacks of fingers of frost, which is an direct hit by deep freeze without the need to initialy freeze the target.

Correct me if im wrong, if I didn't put things into calculation, you could dispell it surely, in heat of battle though, and gcd present, will you spend spamming purge,dispell or try to blink away to safety and seek terrain for cover. Even the stacking of 2p pvp set to gain 60 ressilience isn't gonna save you here

Preeeetty sure the target had to be PERMANENTLY immune to CC to take the damage in retail WotLK (so basically just bosses). Outside of bugs/unintended functionality, I don't see why that wouldn't be the case here.

21 minutes ago, smart blart said:

Preeeetty sure the target had to be PERMANENTLY immune to CC to take the damage in retail WotLK (so basically just bosses).

If you use bestial wrath or bladestorm vs. someone with deep freeze its bascially suicide.
The majority of people uses those abilities in their builds, but honestly i'm happy that there finally is a counter to bestial wrath and bladestorm(other than disarm). 🙂 

5 minutes ago, AG007 said:

If you use bestial wrath or bladestorm vs. someone with deep freeze its bascially suicide.
The majority of people uses those abilities in their builds, but honestly i'm happy that there finally is a counter to bestial wrath and bladestorm(other than disarm). 🙂 

Patch 3.3.0 (08-Dec-2009): This spell now deals a large amount of damage to targets permanently immune to stuns

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Deep_Freeze

"Permanently immune" doesn't refer to players who have popped a CD to be temporarily immune lol

Edited by smart blart

54 minutes ago, smart blart said:

Preeeetty sure the target had to be PERMANENTLY immune to CC to take the damage in retail WotLK (so basically just bosses). Outside of bugs/unintended functionality, I don't see why that wouldn't be the case here.

Intentional or not, I do remember why deep freeze was disabled initialy due to instagibbing people that had "hand of freedom" on. (Hence why I mentioned it) So your "pretty sure" meter is dropping down till someone tests this kind of stuff. Or unless they make deep freeze damage non existant outside pve scenarios. You can never count on our barely updated tooltips of talents since you don't know whats behind the screen till someone plops it on the forums and says "oh look so thats how it works", or a dev (in rare cases) comming out with blood stain on their hands to say "We fucked up, sorry, guess il just disable this ability"

How can the 100 ap buff on the rogue 5p bonus be any good and satisfying for you wicky?

Or is it just me being bad at maths?

(20/2)+(40/4)+(60/6)+(80/8)......+(200/20)=100

Feels like you tried to add something upon reaching 10 stacks but Couldnt quite finish it.  

Nvm

Edited by Peel2g
Addition

Changes seem fine,
But giving people who hide in raids instead of wpvp on Laughing Skull an even bigger advantage gear-wize is just dumb...

Make it so PvP'ers on Laughing Skull have an alternative way to get gear from current content, the state of server is laughable, only PvE guilds left..

The economy on Laughing Skull is super inflated as well.. When people go out into world, they're not worried about losing gear, they're worried about losing RE's, because the methods of getting Orbs is horrible.

Best regards Bavne

20 hours ago, smart blart said:

"Permanently immune" doesn't refer to players who have popped a CD to be temporarily immune lol

Uhm.. yes it does? Has always worked like that lol. It will stun if your target is stun-able, if not it will cause damage.

Hey all! Sorry for another late night, or early morning, post. I'm here though to now update you guys on some finalized changes we've made to the AQ 40 sets and more. However, I want to first give a huge thank you and shout out to everyone who gave us feedback in the matter through this forum thread, discord, and in game. You were all a massive help in getting the design just right and having them finalized. We're really happy with where the sets ended up and are looking forward to potentially doing more in the future. We also hope to learn from any mistakes and do an even better job with set going forward. Especially since it's likely we'll get more development time on them. We also have a small surprise for you guys that we hope you will enjoy as well, which I'll discuss afterwards.

So I won't be reposting all the sets again, but instead will post any changes we've made an will try to update some you all with some of the scaling you'll be seeing with some of the effects.

Druid 5 set- The cat form effect will have about a 10% chance to trigger from critical strikes.
The seed of life effect from the Tree form bonus will have a 1% spell power scaling per tick per stack, so 7% per tick each second at max stacks, and the bloom effect will scale with ~40% of your spell power. Neither have a target limit.

After testing we found these numbers to have a strong result in all the different shapeshift forms. We'll definitely monitor feedback on live as players start collecting and experimenting with the set.

Hunter 5 set- The effect remains the same, but now triggers from every Chimera Shot and has a 50% chance to trigger from your Mongoose Bite. The DoT effect scales with ~6% of your RAP per tick per stack. The Expunge effect scales with 64% of your RAP and does not have a target cap and now deals 50% damage to players.

We had a lot of feedback regarding the original design of this set, and we ended up working many hours to get this one, along with the others, changed and tested. You all made very strong points, so we decided to have the effect not only trigger from a universally used Hunter ability, but also added in melee to the mix for those of you rocking Surv Hunter builds. ❤️

Paladin 5 set- Scaling increased to 33% (11% to players).

After doing some numbers we found the set bonus to be just under where we would like it to be, so we bumped the scaling up.

Priest 3 set- For clarification, will not work with HoT effects.
Priest 5 set- the power of the second effect will be 50%.

The second spell applied by this set will also scale with any respective modifiers and should also work with talents like Rapture, Reflective Shield, Empowered Renew, Shadow Affinity, etc.

Rogue 5 set- Now increases your melee attack power by 10 per stack and also increases the damage of your Rogue combo point generators by 1% per stack.

A lot of the feedback we got on this set was that while the design was good, it was a very general bonus compared to the other sets and we didn't want every build to simply gravitate to one of the already strongest sets in the bunch. So we decided to cut back a little on the general bonus and add something for Rogue builds specifically. This should result in a slightly weaker set overall for builds not running rogue abilities, but should actually be a slight buff to builds actually using rogue abilities.

Warlock 5 set- Shadowburn damage increased by 200% (100% to players) on low health targets.

We will be monitoring this damage in PvP, but we don't expect it to get too high. Shadowburn doesn't have much in the way of bonus scaling or modifiers and casters don't have many reliable executes at the moment aside from the few flat % damage increases they can opt for. Also, we do plan on removing the Soul Shard cost of Shadowburn baseline with this update.

Warrior 5 set- Thunder Clap bonus damage now 30% (15% to players).

We were a little worried with the amount of power this bonus may have in PvP with 2H builds. We do like that it offers a way to help punch through very tanky builds, but we don't want their AoE/cleave damage to get too out of hand, so we're going to play on the safe side with this bonus.

Before I spoil the small surprise we have for you I want to again say thanks to everyone in the community who came out and voiced the opinions/questions/comments/concerns with us in regards to the sets. We hope you guys are as happy with them as we are, and again, we look forward to getting the opportunity to do this again for you guys in the future. Now...

We're going to be taking a small pass at the AQ 40 trinkets and making minor changes/buffs across the board. When I say minor I do mean minor, and we believe that's all most of these trinkets really need. We will be keeping almost all of the existing effects in tact and making minor adjustments to bring their power up respective to their item level. There's honestly some really fun effects that these trinkets offer, but most of them are just not quite good enough to justify replacing trinkets like the all powerful BWL ones. We believe that raiding progression should be something you look forward to and not simply your 1000th shard. So without further ado:

Shard of the Fallen Star
Binds when picked up
Trinket
Requires Level 60
Item Level 75
Equip: Increases your haste rating by 30.
Use: Calls down a meteor, burning all enemies within the area for 950 to 1050 (50% to players) total Fire damage. (2 minutes cooldown)

Badge of the Swarmguard
Binds when picked up
Unique
Trinket
Requires Level 60
Item Level 76
Equip: Increases your expertise rating by 12
Use: Gives a chance on melee or ranged attack to apply an armor penetration effect on you for 30 sec, increasing your armor penetration rating by 28 (6.56% @ L60). The armor penetration effect can be applied up to 6 times. (2 minutes cooldown)

Petrified Scarab
Binds when picked up
Unique-Equipped
Trinket
Requires Level 60
Item Level 76
Equip: Increases your Stamina by 30.
Use: Increases your spell resistances by 100 for 1 min. Every time a hostile spell lands on you, this bonus is reduced by 10 resistance. (3 minutes cooldown)

Fetish of the Sand Reaver
Binds when picked up
Unique-Equipped
Trinket
Requires Level 60
Item Level 77
Equip: Increases your Spell Power by 37.
Equip: Your spells have a chance to grant you 45 mp5 for 15 seconds. (1 minute ICD)

Use: Reduces the threat you generate by 70-2*MAX(0,PL-60)% for 20 sec. (3 minutes cooldown)

Scarab Brooch
Binds when picked up
Unique-Equipped
Trinket
Requires Level 60
Item Level 78
Equip: Increases your Spirit by 22.
Use: Your magical heals provide the target with a shield that absorbs damage for up to 15% of the amount healed for 20 sec. (2 minutes cooldown)

The Burrower's Shell
Binds when picked up
Unique-Equipped
Trinket
Requires Level 60
Item Level 81
200 Armor
Equip: Increases your Dodge rating by 16.
Use: Absorbs 2000 damage. Lasts 20 sec. (2 minutes cooldown)

Jom Gabbar
Binds when picked up
Unique-Equipped
Trinket
Requires Level 60
Item Level 81
Use: Increases attack power by 70 and an additional 70 every 2 sec. Lasts 20 sec. (2 minutes cooldown)

We hope that you guys are happy with the above changes. We'll have this all out to you shortly. Most of you will probably be reading this on the changelog before seeing this forum post :D Anyway, cheers Heroes!

Edited by itswicky

@itswicky what did you end up doing with the warlock 3 set bonus? 🙂

What do you think about this suggestion?:

On 10/24/2018 at 11:26 PM, AG007 said:

(3) Increases the critical strike chance of your Shadow spells by 5% and Fire spells by 2%. In addition increase the critical damage bonus of your Shadow and Fire spells by 5%.

I'd still like to see the 3 set warlock changed, its very bland and awful compared to most. The other changes are very good . 😃 I like the way everything is going as of right now, makes me want to keep playing. 

23 hours ago, phyrex said:

Just give that rogue 5'er to hunters aswell hmmkay. 

The battle shout crit is only personal then? because no1 in their right mind uses battle shout over blessing of might. Good idea though. 

the only time they use battle shout is for warcry but that's 100% crit rating lol

26 minutes ago, AG007 said:

@itswicky what did you end up doing with the warlock 3 set bonus? 🙂

What do you think about this suggestion?:

I appreciate the suggestion, but crit damage is very strong for Fire since they scale so much better with it than any other build does, so giving them both crit change and crit damage would be probably far more passive power than we'd be willing to give to the 3 set.

24 minutes ago, Hanlin said:

I'd still like to see the 3 set warlock changed, its very bland and awful compared to most. The other changes are very good . 😃 I like the way everything is going as of right now, makes me want to keep playing. 

Sorry if we missed the mark on this one. We figured we would keep some of the sets more on the simple side as we felt not every effect needed to be too complex or flashy. We appreciate the feedback, though, and will work hard on the next set. ❤️

@itswicky appreciate the timely response. I would of rather seen some shadowbolt / soulfire synergy, but I appreciate the shadowburn change. 

off-note will this update fix the pvp 3 set & 6 set swap to combine other sets? aye?

1 minute ago, Hanlin said:

off-note will this update fix the pvp 3 set & 6 set swap to combine other sets? aye?

Sorry, could you explain this further?

With the most recent patch, that is what I'm seeing currently on live. We just uploaded the new patch, so make sure you've updated! :) 

12 minutes ago, itswicky said:

I appreciate the suggestion, but crit damage is very strong for Fire since they scale so much better with it than any other build does, so giving them both crit change and crit damage would be probably far more passive power than we'd be willing to give to the 3 set.

Aight fair enough.

What about this then:
(3) Increases your Shadow critical damage by 5% and your Fire critical damage by 2%. In addition increase your spell penetration by 20.

To add a little flavor for pvp. Shadow and Fire resistance are both very common and can be stacked very high so more spell penetration would really help in pvp and wouldn't affect pve at all.

1 minute ago, AG007 said:

Aight fair enough.

What about this then:
(3) Increases your Shadow critical damage by 5% and your Fire critical damage by 2%. In addition increase your spell penetration by 20.

To add a little flavor for pvp. Shadow and Fire resistance are both very common and can be stacked very high so more spell penetration would really help in pvp and wouldn't affect pve at all.

We've got the sets going live now, so unfortunately no time to change now, but I do really like the suggestion. We'll look at doing something similar for future sets.