itswicky

Dev Update #71

Howdy Heroes! I'm here today with another update for you. Today we're going to talk about the new AQ 40 sets. First I'd like to apologize for the slight delay, but hopefully this update will give you raiders enough time to theorycraft with and be ready to assign your loot this weekend. That said, a patch with these changes should be live for you all before the next wing of AQ 40 is released.

Forgive me in advance as I believe this post will be a rather long one, but I'll try to keep it as succinct as possible. I won't be posting the existing set bonuses that are currently live so as not to bloat this post further. I'd also like echo what I said in a previous post about the sets, which is we wanted to keep the power level of sets that were already attractive, like the hunter 5 piece, but then add flavor to it. We also wanted to keep bonuses that already had some flavor to them, like the Warrior 5 piece or Priest 3 piece, and give them some power if they were lacking. Ultimately we wanted to end up with 5 piece bonuses that had a good level of flavor, but also a respectable level of power to justify their use. Lastly, I'd like to say that the intent with the bonuses wasn't to make sure every bonus was so good that any or most builds could pick them up, while some 3 sets lean that way, but to replace the boring and mundane bonuses with something that had some flare. With all that said, let's get to it.

Druid

(3) Your Omen of Clarity also increases the damage or healing of your next spell by 10%.
(5) Your Shapeshift forms are enhanced:

Moonkin: Your Force of Nature spell summons 2 additional Treants and your Starfall deals 50% more damage (20% to players).

Cat: Your critical strikes have a chance to reset the cooldown of your Tiger's Fury.

Bear and Dire Bear: Your critical strikes increases the duration of your Barkskin by 1 second. This effect cannot occur more than once each second.

Tree of Life: Your Regrowth Heal over time effect and your Rejuvenation heals plant a Seed of Life in the target healing them each second for 4 seconds, stacking up to 8 times. Upon reaching 8 stacks the seed blooms and heals the target and nearby allies.

Druid is our first set to examine and the first thing I'd like to point out is that we made the 3 set something that would be relatively accessible to all builds. This won't be the case for every 3 set we have, but most of the sets should feel like they have a mostly accessible 3 set bonus that doesn't necessarily mean I have to be playing a build consisting mainly of one particular class's spells, but should still have obvious synergies with a particular classes abilities or play style. We wanted to try to keep the 3 pieces open to more builds since you will be able to more easily mix and match with off-set pieces and they require a smaller investment, so the payoff shouldn't be as large or quite as niche or honed in on one particular play style. 

The 5 sets, on the other hand, we attempted to make more stylistic. We wanted these to have clear cut synergies with specific class abilities or builds. We felt a particular class set should have pretty clear synergies with their builds and abilities, just like players are already familiar with, but do so in a new and hopefully exciting way. The Druid 5 set is an example of something that is a little less build specific as it has bonuses for all the druid forms, but the other sets we'll talk about today should give you guys a better idea of the direction we're aiming for. 

Hunter

(3) You have an additional 4% chance to trigger your Wild Quiver talent.
(5) Your Aimed and Multi-Shots leave a lingering poisons on the target dealing Nature damage every 2 seconds for 14 seconds and stacking up to 3 times. Upon reaching 3 stacks the poison is expunged from the target, dealing Nature damage the target.

We know some players using Hunter style builds were looking forward to the existing 5 piece bonus, but we hope we've done you justice with this new one. The previous bonus definitely had power and great synergies since many Hunter builds rely heavily on attack speed, but the bonus was looking potentially a bit too powerful with the changed AQ 20 Hunter bonus. One thing the previous bonus lacked was some zing, or flavor. It had a strong effect, but overall was a bit boring. We aimed at making a bonus which should give the same relative power to Hunters from a dps perspective, but should create slightly more interesting game play and also help them out in cleave situations.

Mage

(3) The Clearcasting effect from your Arcane Concentration now also reduces the cast time of your next spell by 20%.
(5) Your Arcane Power, Combustion, and Icy Veins further empower your abilities:

Arcane Power: Your Arcane Missiles fires an additional time.

Combustion: Reduces the cast time of your Fireball by 20% while active and increases the charges by 2.

Icy Veins: Generates 2 stacks of Fingers of Frost when used and resets the cooldown of your Deep Freeze and increases its damage by 100%.

Here we created yet another 3 set bonus which should be applicable to many different builds and play styles. We understand it may not be particularly so strong that every build looks to use it, but it has great synergies with spells like Arcane Missiles and Penance, and also helps a talent which is otherwise mostly geared towards mana management slightly more offensive and dynamic. 

For the 5 set, we felt that each talent tree for Mages had a very strong and iconic cooldown, and with the exception of Combustion, they didn't necessarily feel like iconic Mage abilities anymore on Ascension. Arcane Power and Icy Veins were simply spells you picked up if you were a caster. While we don't imagine any of you will be missing the previous bonuses on this tier set, we hope that you will appreciate the flavor and utility we've added here.

Paladin

(3) Your auto attacks have a chance to trigger Divine Favor on you. This effect increases the critical strike chance of your next Paladin ability except seals and judgement by 50%.
(5) Your Crusader Strike and Divine Storm deals an additional 25% (10% to players) of your spell power as Holy damage. 

Here we felt that Blizzard's original intent with this set was to make a cool and iconic Retribution Paladin set. We don't believe they really accomplished that with the previous bonuses, and Retribution is a game play style we haven't seen much of in raids on Ascension, so we thought we'd take a swing at it. I'll also note here that, as stated previously, we have plans to go through and look at melee builds in PvE and make adjustments to them in the near future and that will include Ret. Our goal with this set wasn't to simply make Ret viable through set bonuses. 

With the 3 piece we felt it was a bonus that created a lot of flexibility with the play style that Ret was previously well known for. The 5 piece, while not particularly flashy, seems to have not only the right flavor for the build, but it also allowed the build to scale better with spell power, which obviously synergizes well with the set pieces, but also with the build. Stay tuned in the future for more updates on our pass at melee!

Priest

(3) 50% chance that your heals on other will also heal you 10% of the amount healed.
(5) You have a 25% chance when you cast Power Word: Shield, Renew, or Vampiric Touch to cast a second similar, but weaker effect on the target.

As you can see, we didn't touch too much with the 3 piece. We really like the panache of the bonus, so we simply opened it up to all healing spells and gave it a bit of a buff to make sure it felt impactful and justified bringing the set to whatever content you were doing. The previous 5 set was clearly a bit lackluster in not only numbers, but also scope. We changed it up a little to allow it to provide a bonus to all different builds which might be utilizing Priest spells. I'd also like to not here that we finally got a fix in for Empowered Renew, which you will see live with this update, and it synergizes nicely with this set 😃 

Rogue

(3) Using a Rogue finisher has a 2% chance per combo point to generate 5 combo points.
(5) You gain stacks of Stalking every 2 seconds. Stalking increases your attack power by 20 and stacks up to 10 times. Upon reaching 10 stacks they reset.

I'll start this description off by saying we know some people may be disappointed by the Evasion bonus change. The reasons we made this change were many, but two of the bigger ones were the fact that we're currently seeing Bear tanks on Ascension start to handily out perform the other tank builds in most situations. This is not purely a balance or numbers issue, although we believe this to be part of it, but it also has to do with how many of the fights on Ascension are currently designed. That said, we will be making a pass at tanks in the future, but we want to first go through melees and also collect more information on 2H tanks and how it is performing comparatively to other tanks. The other reason is this set will already be very popular for melee due to its stats and therefore will certainly see much use in PvP. Having such a strong defensive in PvP on such a short cooldown is another thing we wanted to avoid with the previous bonus. 

So this is where we ended up. We wanted this set to be a bit more simple, and we like where we ended up with the 5 set. I'll note here that just because this time around the Rogue set has some less complex bonuses doesn't mean we can't do something really fun and exciting with the future sets. And that's true for all the sets. This is only our set time redoing sets after all. I'd like to briefly point out the three piece as well. We know the common way to play rogue builds at the moment isn't really centered on using Finishers much, or barely at all, but again we will be going through melee specs in the near future and this may be changing.

Shaman

(3) Your Shaman Shields are enhanced:

Lighting Shield- Increases all Nature damage dealt by 2%.

Water Shield- Reduces the cast time of your Shaman healing spells by 3%.

Earth Shield- Increases all healing received by 2%.
(5) Your Riptide, Healing Wave, and Lesser Healing Wave critical heals reduce the cast time of your next 2 Chain Heals by 25%. Also, each time your Chain Lightning deals damage its cooldown is reduced by 1 sec and reduces the cast time of your Lightning Bolt by 0.1 sec.

This was a surprisingly difficult set to design. The 3 piece is simple and sweet enough, we believe, but the 5 set was harder. We wanted to design something that kept the power bump to Chain Heal, but we wanted to do it in a way that was based more around other Shaman synergies and wasn't simply a very large baseline buff to an already very powerful 1 button build. We also wanted to add in something else that didn't force the set onto only players using Chain Heal. What we ended up with was making a change that improves the cleave of Lightning Bolt builds, while also giving them a slight boost to their single target, and also creating synergies for Resto Shaman builds that will hopefully encourage the use of spells beyond just Chain Heal and possibly provide more of a reason to run Tidal Force. 

Warlock

(3) Increases your Shadow critical damage by 5% and your Fire critical damage by 2%.
(5) Your Shadowburn does x% increased damage (half to players) to targets below 30% health.

First, I'd like to say that we never want to balance spells or talent around having to have certain pieces of gear equipped. I know some people may feel like we're trying to force the use of a 'bad' spell here, but that's not at all the case. In fact what we're aiming to do is basically 'test' out some changes to an ability and see how they feel. Set bonuses are just that, and in nature they are temporary. That means that if players really enjoy a particular bonus that we've designed then we can always revisit that design and possibly do things like make an RE or even bake the effect into talents or baseline into abilities. The options and opportunities for us are endless, so we will be looking forward to your feedback regarding this, and other, changes to see what you do and don't like. And hopefully you guys won't be missing your reduced mana cost bonus =D.

Warrior

(3) Your Shout spells are enhanced: 

Battle Shout: Increases your critical strike rating by 28.

Demoralizing Shout: Generates 100% additional threat.

Intimidating Shout: Cooldown and rage cost reduced by 15%.

Challenging Shout: Reduces the damage the affected targets deal by 20%.
(5) Your Thunder Clap now deals an additional 40% damage (20% to players) as Nature.

The three piece bonus should be pretty straightforward and stand on its own. We wanted to take the flavor of affecting shouts that Blizzard originally intended and make it more interesting. To clarify, the BShout bonus will only apply to the caster. Now, as for the Thunder Clap bonus. We understand we had an opportunity to do something else that had a wider impact on more play styles here, but we also new that many players were actually looking forward to their wacky TC builds and so we wanted to make the bonus keep it's identity and this big Thunder Clap bonus, but change it in such a way that was different in a way in which is added more power where it was really needed, but also slightly reduced power where it wasn't. We hope you guys are happy with where we landed on this set, but if not please let us know! If you guys would prefer to see completely different effects in the future over bonuses that are 'the same but different' then please leave your feedback here with us and we'll do our best to give you guys exactly what you want.

I'll just take this last bit of time to say while it's unlikely that these sets will change much before hitting live, there is still possibilities of changes, and numbers for some of these sets are still being tested as I type this and they are not all final. As always, thank you so much for taking the time to read my excessively long posts and a special thank you for all of you who take the time to give us your feedback and help to make Ascension a better place to play and be a part of the community! ❤️

Edited by itswicky

That avenger set if great for 2H hybrid, but there is absolutely nothing for dual wield hybrids ? :/

Ye i'm not happy about the warlock 3 set bonus change. Immolate tome from AQ was a huge disappointment as it only increased the dmg by ~100 (92 to be exact), so I was hoping that I could at least get the 5% increased dmg from t2.5, 3 set bonus. :/

Why change it to only buff shadow? please let fire/destro spells have some love too if you are going to change it.

EDIT: btw nobody wants to use shadowburn because it requires a soul shard to use.

Edited by AG007

12 minutes ago, itswicky said:

Howdy Heroes! I'm here today with another update for you. Today we're going to talk about the new AQ 40 sets. First I'd like to apologize for the slight delay, but hopefully this update will give you raiders enough time to theorycraft with and be ready to assign your loot this weekend. That said, a patch with these changes should be live for you all before the next wing of AQ 40 is released.

Forgive me in advance as I believe this post will be a rather long one, but I'll try to keep it as succinct as possible. I won't be posting the existing set bonuses that are currently live so as not to bloat this post further. I'd also like echo what I said in a previous post about the sets, which is we wanted to keep the power level of sets that were already attractive, like the hunter 5 piece, but then add flavor to it. We also wanted to keep bonuses that already had some flavor to them, like the Warrior 5 piece or Priest 3 piece, and give them some power if they were lacking. Ultimately we wanted to end up with 5 piece bonuses that had a good level of flavor, but also a respectable level of power to justify their use. Lastly, I'd like to say that the intent with the bonuses wasn't to make sure every bonus was so good that any or most builds could pick them up, while some 3 sets lean that way, but to replace the boring and mundane bonuses with something that had some flare. With all that said, let's get to it.

Druid

(3) Your Omen of Clarity also increases the damage or healing of your next spell by 10%.
(5) Your Shapeshift auras are enhanced:

Moonkin Aura: Your Force of Nature spell summons 2 additional Treants and your Starfall deals 50% more damage (20% to players).

Leader of the Pack: Your critical strikes in Bear and Dire Bear Form increases the duration of your Barkskin by 1 second and your critical strikes in Cat Form have a chance to reset the cooldown of your Tiger's Fury.

Tree of Life: Your Regrowth Heal over time effect and your Rejuvenation heals plant a seed in the target healing them each second for 4 seconds, stacking up to 8 times. Upon reaching 8 stacks the seed blooms and heals the target and nearby allies.

Druid is our first set to examine and the first thing I'd like to point out is that we made the 3 set something that would be relatively accessible to all builds. This won't be the case for every 3 set we have, but most of the sets should feel like they have a mostly accessible 3 set bonus that doesn't necessarily mean I have to be playing a build consisting mainly of one particular class's spells, but should still have obvious synergies with a particular classes abilities or play style. We wanted to try to keep the 3 pieces open to more builds since you will be able to more easily mix and match with off-set pieces and they require a smaller investment, so the payoff shouldn't be as large or quite as niche or honed in on one particular play style. 

The 5 sets, on the other hand, we attempted to make more stylistic. We wanted these to have clear cut synergies with specific class abilities or builds. We felt a particular class set should have pretty clear synergies with their builds and abilities, just like players are already familiar with, but do so in a new and hopefully exciting way. The Druid 5 set is an example of something that is a little less build specific as it has bonuses for all the druid forms, but the other sets we'll talk about today should give you guys a better idea of the direction we're aiming for. 

Hunter

(5) Your Aimed and Multi-Shots leave a lingering poisons on the target dealing Nature damage every 2 seconds for 14 seconds and stacking up to 3 times. Upon reaching 3 stacks the poison is expunged from the target, dealing Nature damage the target.

We know some players using Hunter style builds were looking forward to the existing 5 piece bonus, but we hope we've done you justice with this new one. The previous bonus definitely had power and great synergies since many Hunter builds rely heavily on attack speed, but the bonus was looking potentially a bit too powerful with the changed AQ 20 Hunter bonus. One thing the previous bonus lacked was some zing, or flavor. It had a strong effect, but overall was a bit boring. We aimed at making a bonus which should give the same relative power to Hunters from a dps perspective, but should create slightly more interesting game play and also help them out in cleave situations.

Mage

(3) The Clearcasting effect from your Arcane Concentration now also reduces the cast time of your next spell by 20%.
(5) Your Arcane Power, Combustion, and Icy Veins further empower your abilities:

Combustion: Reduces the cast time of your Fireball by 20% while active and increases the charges by 2.

Icy Veins: Generates 2 stacks of Fingers of Frost when used and resets the cooldown of your Deep Freeze and increases its damage by 100%.

Here we created yet another 3 set bonus which should be applicable to many different builds and play styles. We understand it may not be particularly so strong that every build looks to use it, but it has great synergies with spells like Arcane Missiles and Penance, and also helps a talent which is otherwise mostly geared towards mana management slightly more offensive and dynamic. 

For the 5 set, we felt that each talent tree for Mages had a very strong and iconic cooldown, and with the exception of Combustion, they didn't necessarily feel like iconic Mage abilities anymore on Ascension. Arcane Power and Icy Veins were simply spells you picked up if you were a caster. While we don't imagine any of you will be missing the previous bonuses on this tier set, we hope that you will appreciate the flavor and utility we've added here.

Paladin

(3) Your auto attacks have a chance to trigger Divine Favor on you. This effect increases the critical strike chance of your next Paladin ability except seals and judgement by 50%.
(5) Your Crusader Strike and Divine Storm deals an additional 25% (10% to players) of your spell power as Holy damage. 

Here we felt that Blizzard's original intent with this set was to make a cool and iconic Retribution Paladin set. We don't believe they really accomplished that with the previous bonuses, and Retribution is a game play style we haven't seen much of in raids on Ascension, so we thought we'd take a swing at it. I'll also note here that, as stated previously, we have plans to go through and look at melee builds in PvE and make adjustments to them in the near future and that will include Ret. Our goal with this set wasn't to simply make Ret viable through set bonuses. 

With the 3 piece we felt it was a bonus that created a lot of flexibility with the play style that Ret was previously well known for. The 5 piece, while not particularly flashy, seems to have not only the right flavor for the build, but it also allowed the build to scale better with spell power, which obviously synergizes well with the set pieces, but also with the build. Stay tuned in the future for more updates on our pass at melee!

Priest

(3) 50% chance that your heals on other will also heal you 10% of the amount healed.
(5) You have a 25% chance when you cast Power Word: Shield, Renew, or Vampiric Touch to cast a second similar, but weaker effect on the target.

As you can see, we didn't touch too much with the 3 piece. We really like the panache of the bonus, so we simply opened it up to all healing spells and gave it a bit of a buff to make sure it felt impactful and justified bringing the set to whatever content you were doing. The previous 5 set was clearly a bit lackluster in not only numbers, but also scope. We changed it up a little to allow it to provide a bonus to all different builds which might be utilizing Priest spells. I'd also like to not here that we finally got a fix in for Empowered Renew, which you will see live with this update, and it synergizes nicely with this set 😃 

Rogue

(3) Using a Rogue finisher has a 2% chance per combo point to generate 5 combo points.
(5) You gain stacks of Stalking every 2 seconds. Stalking increases your attack power by 20 and stacks up to 10 times. Upon reaching 10 stacks they reset.

I'll start this description off by saying we know some people may be disappointed by the Evasion bonus change. The reasons we made this change were many, but two of the bigger ones were the fact that we're currently seeing Bear tanks on Ascension start to handily out perform the other tank builds in most situations. This is not purely a balance or numbers issue, although we believe this to be part of it, but it also has to do with how many of the fights on Ascension are currently designed. That said, we will be making a pass at tanks in the future, but we want to first go through melees and also collect more information on 2H tanks and how it is performing comparatively to other tanks. The other reason is this set will already be very popular for melee due to its stats and therefore will certainly see much use in PvP. Having such a strong defensive in PvP on such a short cooldown is another thing we wanted to avoid with the previous bonus. 

So this is where we ended up. We wanted this set to be a bit more simple, and we like where we ended up with the 5 set. I'll note here that just because this time around the Rogue set has some less complex bonuses doesn't mean we can't do something really fun and exciting with the future sets. And that's true for all the sets. This is only our set time redoing sets after all. I'd like to briefly point out the three piece as well. We know the common way to play rogue builds at the moment isn't really centered on using Finishers much, or barely at all, but again we will be going through melee specs in the near future and this may be changing.

Shaman

(5) Your Riptide, Healing Wave, and Lesser Healing Wave critical heals reduce the cast time of your next 2 Chain Heals by 25%. Also, each time your Chain Lightning deals damage its cooldown is reduced by 1 sec and reduces the cast time of your Lightning Bolt by 0.1 sec.

This was a surprisingly difficult set to design. The 3 piece is simple and sweet enough, we believe, but the 5 set was harder. We wanted to design something that kept the power bump to Chain Heal, but we wanted to do it in a way that was based more around other Shaman synergies and wasn't simply a very large baseline buff to an already very powerful 1 button build. We also wanted to add in something else that didn't force the set onto only players using Chain Heal. What we ended up with was making a change that improves the cleave of Lightning Bolt builds, while also giving them a slight boost to their single target, and also creating synergies for Resto Shaman builds that will hopefully encourage the use of spells beyond just Chain Heal and possibly provide more of a reason to run Tidal Force. 

Warlock

(3) Increases your Shadow critical damage by 5%.
(5) Your Shadowburn does x% increased damage (half to players) to targets below 30% health.

First, I'd like to say that we never want to balance spells or talent around having to have certain pieces of gear equipped. I know some people may feel like we're trying to force the use of a 'bad' spell here, but that's not at all the case. In fact what we're aiming to do is basically 'test' out some changes to an ability and see how they feel. Set bonuses are just that, and in nature they are temporary. That means that if players really enjoy a particular bonus that we've designed then we can always revisit that design and possibly do things like make an RE or even bake the effect into talents or baseline into abilities. The options and opportunities for us are endless, so we will be looking forward to your feedback regarding this, and other, changes to see what you do and don't like. And hopefully you guys won't be missing your reduced mana cost bonus =D.

Warrior

(5) Your Thunder Clap now deals an additional 40% damage (20% to players) as Nature.

The three piece bonus should be pretty straightforward and stand on its own. We wanted to take the flavor of affecting shouts that Blizzard originally intended and make it more interesting. To clarify, the BShout bonus will only apply to the caster. Now, as for the Thunder Clap bonus. We understand we had an opportunity to do something else that had a wider impact on more play styles here, but we also new that many players were actually looking forward to their wacky TC builds and so we wanted to make the bonus keep it's identity and this big Thunder Clap bonus, but change it in such a way that was different in a way in which is added more power where it was really needed, but also slightly reduced power where it wasn't. We hope you guys are happy with where we landed on this set, but if not please let us know! If you guys would prefer to see completely different effects in the future over bonuses that are 'the same but different' then please leave your feedback here with us and we'll do our best to give you guys exactly what you want.

I'll just take this last bit of time to say while it's unlikely that these sets will change much before hitting live, there is still possibilities of changes, and numbers for some of these sets are still being tested as I type this and they are not all final. As always, thank you so much for taking the time to read my excessively long posts and a special thank you for all of you who take the time to give us your feedback and help to make Ascension a better place to play and be a part of the community! ❤️

Some nice sets. Shaman needs a change though as druid (leader of the pack). Shaman gear must have crit to make me switch to it as im at around 75% crit, i dont want to lose that splash heal for cast time. Warrior 5 set with 2h tanks needs to be changed completely, its just going to buff 2h tanks more than any other tank again. It would be best to to either have a one hand requirement for that set bonus or change the ability all together. Maybe use the 6 set bonus from vanilla Naxx (5% hit on shield slam) but change it to increase threat generated by shield slam by 15% or revenge damage/crit/threat. 

Feels like you are nerfing all warrior/pala based tanks that aren't 2h tanks just because they aren't made by the team. That is not balance, that is favouritism. (FYI. a bad idea, will make people leave the server)

some nice changes tho have you considered maybe making the lock/mage set bonuses more caster friendly in general as opposed to only working with limited specs? the rogue set is quite nice as it works for almost all melee specs as they all use rogue finishers (cept cat and maybe some others) and can benefit off AP. The lock/mage sets on the other hand kinda just buff certain stuff and are pretty useless for most casters despite being what they'll probably end up wearing due to stats alone

All in all, these changes seem really nice. They're more exciting and useful than some of the old ones, there's just one thing though, the mage 3 set. It sounds like something my fire mage would LOVE, there's just one issue, and that is the talent itself, it kinda needs just a bit of buffing, preferably by making it a 3 point talent that gives a 15% chance, or something like that, oh and a question as well. Would it work with the spell slinger re proc?

and thank god for giving combustion some love.

Can we have a dev actually playing hunter take a look at that setbonus?

You give us a 3set that  equals an RE, and a 5set that's utilizing spells no hunter should have trained. For that bonus to be remotely ok in PvE it would need to oneshot players in PvP.

31 minutes ago, mecar said:

That avenger set if great for 2H hybrid, but there is absolutely nothing for dual wield hybrids ? :/

They will have access to several different 3 piece bonuses, but nothing specifically catered to them with the 5 sets this time around.

31 minutes ago, AG007 said:

Ye i'm not happy about the warlock 3 set bonus change. Immolate tome from AQ was a huge disappointment as it only increased the dmg by ~100 (92 to be exact), so I was hoping that I could at least get the 5% increased dmg from t2.5, 3 set bonus. :/

Why change it to only buff shadow? please let fire/destro spells have some love too if you are going to change it.

38 minutes ago, itswicky said:

(3) Increases your Shadow critical damage by 5% and your Fire critical damage by 2%.

FTFY

22 minutes ago, FunkyFish said:

Warrior 5 set with 2h tanks needs to be changed completely, its just going to buff 2h tanks more than any other tank again. It would be best to to either have a one hand requirement for that set bonus or change the ability all together. Maybe use the 6 set bonus from vanilla Naxx (5% hit on shield slam) but change it to increase threat generated by shield slam by 15% or revenge damage/crit/threat. 

Feels like you are nerfing all warrior/pala based tanks that aren't 2h tanks just because they aren't made by the team. That is not balance, that is favouritism. (FYI. a bad idea, will make people leave the server)

We definitely don't favor 2H tanks over any other tank. As I said under the description for the warrior bonus, we wanted to keep the flavor and theme of the previous bonus in tact. We understand Thunder Clap now scales better for 2H weapon users, which includes the tank variant, but we in fact didn't change the bonus to specifically cater towards 2H tanks. The bonus itself is much the same as it was before, simply slightly altered. I don't understand how we are 'nerfing' anything with these bonuses, but if you have more information to share with us on what you'd like to see us change in the future please let us know. It's probably worth noting that Shield tanks have the last 2 tiers of warrior gear, and the next, dedicated to them.

19 minutes ago, yaowa said:

some nice changes tho have you considered maybe making the lock/mage set bonuses more caster friendly in general as opposed to only working with limited specs? the rogue set is quite nice as it works for almost all melee specs as they all use rogue finishers (cept cat and maybe some others) and can benefit off AP. The lock/mage sets on the other hand kinda just buff certain stuff and are pretty useless for most casters despite being what they'll probably end up wearing due to stats alone

Thanks for your feedback! Traditionally the class sets are usually pretty specific in what they try to accomplish for the class system that was in place like flat damage boost on specific spells or reduced cast time, so we wanted to keep the niche bonuses of the 5 sets somewhat in tact, but leave the 3 sets to be more flexible to players and their varying play styles. With casters, if we made all the bonuses too ambiguous then we feel like it would have left choices which were dull and uninteresting to pick between. We tried to make sure most caster builds would have something at their disposal. And for specs that didn't get something this time around, our goal wasn't necessarily to make sure literally every build would have a solid 5 set this time around. If we did that this set would be heavily bloated with far too much happening. We do, however, hope to get the builds which we missed this time around into future bonuses!

11 minutes ago, Jotaa said:

can we get something to do with hunter melee abilities? 0 love for melee hunters D:,

Just quoting this to let you know I read what you wrote, but I think I answered this mostly with the last bit of my previous reply. We couldn't really fit everything in these sets, but we hope to get what we mixed in the next one!

12 minutes ago, vanere12 said:

All in all, these changes seem really nice. They're more exciting and useful than some of the old ones, there's just one thing though, the mage 3 set. It sounds like something my fire mage would LOVE, there's just one issue, and that is the talent itself, it kinda needs just a bit of buffing, preferably by making it a 3 point talent that gives a 15% chance, or something like that, oh and a question as well. Would it work with the spell slinger re proc?

and thank god for giving combustion some love.

Glad you're happy with the work we've done so far! We don't have any plans at the moment to buff the talent in tandem with the set at this moment. As I commented above, the clearcasting effect is a bit more valuable for some builds over others and we believe this bonus might be a bit too good for those builds v.s the others if we did a baseline buff. And yes, I believe it does work the the spell slinger proc.

I'll just quickly add here that I updated the Warlock 3 piece bonus, as quoted above, and reworded the Druid 5 piece to make it more clear that it affects Cat and Bear/Dire Bear forms individually, and doesn't in fact require Leader of the Pack.

29 minutes ago, itswicky said:
1 hour ago, AG007 said:

1 hour ago, itswicky said:

FTFY

Haha okay, well to be honest it still feels kinda "meh", at least compared to all the other juicy 3 set bonuses on the other class gear. But hey, it was an improvement 🙂

EDIT: @itswicky How about this.
(3) Increases your Shadow critical damage by 5% and your Fire critical damage by 2%. In addition increase the critical damage bonus of your Shadow and Fire spells by 5%.

EDIT 2: I think I read it wrong. You want it to increase the critical damage to begin with and not critical chance? Anyway, what I meant was:
(3) Increases the critical strike chance of your Shadow spells by 5% and Fire spells by 2%. In addition increase the critical damage bonus of your Shadow and Fire spells by 5%.

Edited by AG007

1 minute ago, Foibos said:

Can we have a dev actually playing hunter take a look at that setbonus?

You give us a 3set that  equals an RE, and a 5set that's utilizing spells no hunter should have trained. For that bonus to be remotely ok in PvE it would need to oneshot players in PvP.

Hunter builds are something that has seen a lot of change in innovation over the course of Ascension. It's also a build probably varies more drastically with itself from other builds. You can gain, or lose, a lot of dps by swapping around a Hunter build. Much more so than say swapping out a few talents in a Frost or Lightning Bolt build. That said, we have very good reports and results from Hunter builds using Aimed Shot in their rotation v.s the pure attack speed build which focuses on only Chimera and Steady Shot, which is what I'm going to assume you're referring to. We even have testing which shows Aimed Shot builds doing better, but always as well as the Steady Shot build. We apologize if players have grown comfortable with their current build of Hunter and don't appreciate changing it up. We can absolutely sympathize with that, and if it's the case will be mindful of it going forward. We thought with this change we could potentially make the rotation more complex and therefore more interesting to play as well as create a slightly higher skill ceiling with the build.

I'd also like to point out that the three set gives you comparable, if not more, damage than many of the other three sets and is quite a step up from reduced mana cost of your Arcane Shots. The goal with the set bonuses isn't to make them all, especially the 3 set, into something super powerful that when you have them equipped you feel godlike. The idea is that the sets should be complimentary to your play style and should be strong enough to consider using over off-set pieces, but not so powerful that they simply feel mandatory.

1 minute ago, Occvlt said:

Removing the Soulshard cost of Shadowburn seems to be in place now.

Yeah, this is a point brought up by AG007 as well. It's something we'll consider and discuss.

17 minutes ago, itswicky said:

Just quoting this to let you know I read what you wrote, but I think I answered this mostly with the last bit of my previous reply. We couldn't really fit everything in these sets, but we hope to get what we mixed in the next one!

I don't understand this part... Couldn't just do the same thing you did with the druid set and give the hunter set 2 different bonuses, the current ones + something that boost mongoose bite or raptor strike, or even add a RAP scaling to another melee ability to open up something else??

Nice to see changes, I do think that the changes to Avengers and Deathdealer will push DW hybrids completely towards Deathdealer while before there was a good incentive to take Avengers.

I think there may be too much competition for Deathdealer since its set bonus (plus base stats) work well for all melee while Avengers was for SP based and now specifically for a small subset of melee (not just hybrid, but limited to 2H hybrid at that).

Also I hope the hunter set bonus at least scales with SP to make use of the tiny bit of useless SP the set has on it.

Edited by Skray

13 minutes ago, Occvlt said:

Removing the Soulshard cost of Shadowburn seems to be in place now.

11 minutes ago, itswicky said:

Yeah, this is a point brought up by AG007 as well. It's something we'll consider and discuss.

A legendary RE for Shadowburn / Shadow Bolt / Corruption synergy could do this?

I want to start off saying that some of these set bonuses - while neat in design, are pretty weak in terms of numbers or go against what the team has said they did NOT want to occur in the past.. I'll elaborate more later on but for now lets get started on my 2 cents.

3 hours ago, itswicky said:

Druid

(5) Your Shapeshift forms are enhanced:

Moonkin: Your Force of Nature spell summons 2 additional Treants and your Starfall deals 50% more damage (20% to players).

Cat: Your critical strikes have a chance to reset the cooldown of your Tiger's Fury.

Bear and Dire Bear: Your critical strikes increases the duration of your Barkskin by 1 second. This effect cannot occur more than once each second.

Tree of Life: Your Regrowth Heal over time effect and your Rejuvenation heals plant a Seed of Life in the target healing them each second for 4 seconds, stacking up to 8 times. Upon reaching 8 stacks the seed blooms and heals the target and nearby allies.

3P- The 3P is a nice little damage bonus, but its acting on an ability that already has a very VERY low procrate - I feel like adding something like increased PPM or making it affect more than 1 spell per proc would be in order, as it stands its really weak.
5P- The Bear and Tree of Life seem fine from my PoV, and seem like theyll actually be effective - the 2 bigger problems here are the Moonkin and Cat sets...
-The Cat set in particular goes against one thing I've seen in the past you've said you want to AVOID... depending on the procrate of that Tiger's Fury reset, well be right back to square one on when we had Shred Kitties overperforming by a MILE on ST, as that set bonus directly combos with the 60 energy return talent, in addition to providing a big chunk of extra dmg per Shred, it doesnt necessarily need to be changed.. just be careful what you tune this effect to.
-The Moonkin bonus looks fine for the most part, the biggest problem with it to me isnt the set directly, its the Treants themselves - they dont benefit from your hit rating - that really needs to be fixed for them to be any kind of useful. As it stands just having a standard demon is generally always better.

Hunter

This is one bonus I have a pretty big problem with, as it goes against another design choice you guys said you wanted to follow - aka not forcing people into choosing certain spells and abilities, in addition to the set not providing any bonuses to melee hunter (you could treat it exactly like the druid set and just confer multiple bonuses because as far as I'm aware, it wouldnt really be abuseable on either end).
3P- You say the previous set lacks some flavor? This is essentially the same deal but even worse - permanent Rapid Fire offered more than just what this can and will offer - it directly gave you more Wild Quivers due to more atk speed, more poison procs, more energy on your pet etc etc.
5P- This is the big one... No hunter, and I mean absolutely ZERO hunters I've ever seen have used Aimed/Multi-Shot on Asc, simply because the abilities are TERRIBLE. Even after the 10% RAP scaling changed to aimed shot, it STILL see's 0 use. Multi-Shot is also generally nil because it is drastically worse than just spamming Volley. Even if the set bonus is strong, youre still forcing people into the abilities, and it makes 0 sense. In addition, if the set bonus ISNT strong enough to make you actually use the aforementioned abilities.. then its just a wasted set that couldve been something hunters could be happy about for once. Hunters really aren't meta, or even close to top tier right now, they need quite a bit of love, so to my eyes this set makes no sense.

Mage

For the most part, this set is decently made. The general bonus is OK (although its the same issue of forcing you into a talent if you want to make use of it). Really all i can say is the Arcane Power bonus should probly be a little bit more potent than that. Or to baseline buff Arcane as its a VERY lacking spec as is. Also, deep freeze still being broken doesn't really help Frosts case either, although I imagine itll be fixed finally.

Paladin

This.. this is good. Very good job with this one, I'm inclined to say to add something in on this for Dual Wield hybrids as well such as making the SP coeff affect HoTR as well, but otherwise - this is a good set. Effective AND good design.

Priest

Another nicely designed set, although I'd say the 3P is a tad weak in PvE. Depending on the % power of the original cast on the 5p I can only imagine this set seeing plenty of use with Sdots and PW:S healers.

Rogue

For the most part this set is good, the set is a bit more general since most (nearly all) melees will be going for it, the one that scares me a bit is the 3P, being RNG and the chance to spam Eviscerates seems a bit silly. A little bit of RNG is never that bad though.

Edited by Renamed

Nice to have some work on some of those boring set bonuses.

Can you explain a bit what you mean by

5) Your Arcane Power, Combustion, and Icy Veins further empower your abilities:

Arcane Power: Your Arcane Missiles fires an additional time

The wording leaves it a bit open to interpretation. Does it fire and additional missile for each cast ? Does it give an additional arcane missile cast after cast ? Does it double the amount of arcane missiles per cast ?

Shaman

3P- Decent, nice all around bonus. I like it.
5P- Good as well for the most part, although the Chain Lightning cd reduction has potential to do some very very op cleave.. another thing to keep an eye on I'd say.

Warlock

3P- Bit bland for a bonus on both sides, I'd also argue that the fire crit dmg is horrendously undertuned... numbers can be changed though.
5P- I'm inclined to say to give this set the druid treatment once again, having the set only affect one subset of lock builds is for lack of better words, a bit stupid to me. In addition giving shadow additional execute makes such little sense to me since one of Shadows niche's is that their execute is the craziest in the game.. simply furthering that by forcing another ability onto them makes their execute even more obscene.

Warrior

3P- Simple, but good. Me like.
5P- I can see that you already acknowledged the Thunder Clap damage yourself.. which is good, this will definitely need a tuning pass, as Thunder Clap dmg is pretty obscene as is already. The AoE burst this set would provide, as well as just general PvP nuke options is off the charts (not to mention its NATURE damage...).

Overall I'd say I'm disappointed with some of the sets, but the ones you did good - you did VERY good. Keep those ones in mind in particular imo and future sets will turn out handily - and, obviously you cant please everyone - but trying to make the sets more akin to the druid sets in terms of providing multiple potential bonuses would probably help alleviate some people who might say that their spec "didnt get anything" *cough* me included *cough*.

Anyways, thats just my 2 cents, sorry for the wall of text.

Edited by Renamed

11 minutes ago, Machia said:

Nice to have some work on some of those boring set bonuses.

Can you explain a bit what you mean by

5) Your Arcane Power, Combustion, and Icy Veins further empower your abilities:

Arcane Power: Your Arcane Missiles fires an additional time

The wording leaves it a bit open to interpretation. Does it fire and additional missile for each cast ? Does it give an additional arcane missile cast after cast ? Does it double the amount of arcane missiles per cast ?

It will fire one additional missile per cast while Arcane Power is active.

@Renamed

Thanks so much for the detailed feedback! We really do appreciate it. I'll just reply to a few of the points you made. First, we actually just re enabled Deep Freeze so you'll be able to utilize the set bonus. And in regards to the Hunter set: I've made reply to this already, but I'll add in here that it seems that a lot of people have very different results across the board with this build as they have for the longest time on Ascension. You say here that hunters aren't really meta, but we've seen some hunters do very well in raids in fact. We've also done a bit of testing with different Hunter builds and have found a strong one which utilizes Aimed Shot in the rotation, but based on the feedback we've gotten so far players seem inclined to either not believe this is the case or at the very least they are happy enough with their play style and don't wish for it to change. Which is completely understandable. We don't have a whole lot of time before we'll be pushing these changes out, but we'll definitely take some time to revisit this set before we push it out and if any changes are made I'll be sure to post them here.

1 hour ago, itswicky said:

It will fire one additional missile per cast while Arcane Power is active.

@Renamed

Thanks so much for the detailed feedback! We really do appreciate it. I'll just reply to a few of the points you made. First, we actually just re enabled Deep Freeze so you'll be able to utilize the set bonus. And in regards to the Hunter set: I've made reply to this already, but I'll add in here that it seems that a lot of people have very different results across the board with this build as they have for the longest time on Ascension. You say here that hunters aren't really meta, but we've seen some hunters do very well in raids in fact. We've also done a bit of testing with different Hunter builds and have found a strong one which utilizes Aimed Shot in the rotation, but based on the feedback we've gotten so far players seem inclined to either not believe this is the case or at the very least they are happy enough with their play style and don't wish for it to change. Which is completely understandable. We don't have a whole lot of time before we'll be pushing these changes out, but we'll definitely take some time to revisit this set before we push it out and if any changes are made I'll be sure to post them here.

Very well =/= to a meta spec (and yes im doubly sure no one considers hunters meta atm), meta in my eyes is 4k+ at the very LEAST - honestly, even a little more than that. Anything can be viable really, its still much weaker compared to top tier specs. That doesnt mean you should make everything just as ridiculous, but at least buff it into a acceptable range while toning the vastly overpowered stuff down (aka conflag pre-nerf). As it stands, hunters lack that greatly. Also - just saying "weve found a strong spec that uses Aimed Shot" doesnt really mean much to me, I'm more of a numbers person and while talk is good, I dont exactly know what you mean by "strong" because our definitions can be very varied. It also still doesnt really address the point of being forced into the abilities either way. Which is one of the bigger things I've seen that you guys have wanted to avoid. Time constraints are understandable, it doesnt have to happen this go 'round - and obviously most likely wont.. just something to mind for future content.

Edited by Renamed

35 minutes ago, Renamed said:

Very well =/= to a meta spec (and yes im doubly sure no one considers hunters meta atm), meta in my eyes is 4k+ at the very least, probly even a little more than that. Anything can be viable really, its still much weaker compared to top tier specs. That doesnt mean you should make everything just as ridiculous, but at least buff it into a acceptable range while toning the vastly overpowered stuff down (aka conflag pre-nerf). As it stands, hunters lack that greatly. Also - just saying "weve found a strong spec that uses Aimed Shot" doesnt really mean much to me, I'm more of a numbers person and while talk is good, I dont exactly know what you mean by "strong" because our definitions can be very varied. It also still doesnt really address the point of being forced into the abilities either way. Which is one of the bigger things I've seen that you guys have wanted to avoid. Time constraints are understandable, it doesnt have to happen this go 'round - and obviously most likely wont.. just something to mind for future content.

So we've got Hunter builds using Aimed and Arcane shot pulling 4.5k + pretty consistently with Steady Shot builds lagging a bit behind them. I absolutely agree with you though in that we don't want to force anyone, or even make anyone feel forced into a certain play style. I suppose the hopes with this was that players using Hunter builds would hopefully appreciate the bonus, but hopefully get a dps increase with build swaps as well perhaps. :P However, we will again revisit this particular bonus and see if there's anything we can do in the time we have to allow it to be more accessible to all variety of Hunter play styles. 

I got a few questions about the hunter 5set bonus, how much does the normal stack base tick for ,and same for the explosion? and if any (does it scale of RAP/SP)

2 minutes ago, jungla said:

I got a few questions about the hunter 5set bonus, how much does the normal stack base tick for ,and same for the explosion? and if any (does it scale of RAP/SP)

We're working on this set as a whole, numbers included, as I type. Currently they do both scale with RAP.