Sign in to follow this  
DeadlyTrees

Mystic Curses

The Issue with Gear Buying

During the seasonal realm, I noticed that players would rather acquire gold and buy raid loot off the Auction House rather than raid or gank. It's not something I blame them for, but it is something of an issue I think. That you can totally avoid the challenges of raiding or the riskiness of world PvP and get gear equal to those players who do. This creates issues should those players ever start doing raids or world PvP: they won't have the skill to go along with their gear. In my viewpoint, I find this to be somewhat worrying. So, I've devised a way to discourage (but not absolutely destroy) the practice of gear buying on the hardcore realms:

Mystic Curses

Whenever a player trades, drops or auctions a piece of would-be soulbound gear that exceeds a set item level threshold, that item will acquire a Mystic Curse. Mystic Curses are negative features that should be detrimental to all playstyles. Items with a Mystic Curse on them drop in item level by 20, but retain all other stats of an uncursed item. Mystic Curses shouldn't outright obsolete a piece of gear, but they should be bad enough for the player to desire a replacement item or a mystic decurse. Mystic Curses stack, so purchasing a full set of Tier gear will leave you thoroughly weakened.

Mystic Decurses

Mystic Decurses can only be gained through world PvP and raiding. Players have the chance to loot Mystic Decurses from other players in Honorable PvP zones. The final boss of a raid will drop 3-5 Mystic Decurses for the raid to roll on, and all raid bosses have a decent chance to drop a single Mystic Decurse. World Bosses will drop 8-10 Mystic Decurses. Holiday World Bosses (Omen for example) drop 12-15 Mystic Decurses. Mystic Decurses can be used to remove the Mystic Curse from a selected item.

Sample Curses

Helbitten: Upon using any spell that utilizes mana, energy or rage, your next ability will deal 25% of its damage (or healing) to yourself (in damage if healing spell is used). Damage dealt can not exceed 99% of your maximum health.

Curse of Sluggishness: Your movement speed is decreased by 50%.

Goblin Charmed: Your spells have a 10% chance to fizzle and cause an explosion, dealing damage to you and everyone in a 5 yard radius around you based on your attack power, spell power, or healing power.

Critical Exhaustion: Your spell criticals will spend 10% of your maximum mana. Your melee criticals will spend 25 rage or 25 energy. Should you be depleted of resources, criticals will instead deal 5% of your maximum health back in damage.

Pygmy Hex: You are shrunk down to the size of a gnome, you deal 25% less melee damage, 25% less spell damage, and 10% less healing.

This reminds me heavily of cursed items from games like Darkstone, where it would cause effects like old age, fast rising hunger, etc.

Cool concept, and your initial suggestions are also lovely. Definitely something I would endorse on a drawing board here.

I think this has potential. I like the idea of applying curses to items dropped in WPVP, and if the original owner equips them again the curse is removed. It would encourage selling people their gear back and mitigating how impactful dying is. We would have to really dive into this from a design perspective to see where it could fit and enhance the experience. Great suggestion. Thank you.

Idea seems cool but totally chaps the ass of any players who wpvp and sell the gear on ah to acquire the loot they desire. There is probably only a handful of people who gear up completely without ever going out into the world or a dungeon. I do not think this is a good idea to move forward with at all. Also dramatically limits a players ability to try something new without more of a grind. RE is already enough of a grind for players who wish to change spec and gear sets. 

Enough of this roleplay nonsense and actually focus on important stuff!! Buying gear off of the AH aint none of them since this is one of the big selling Point of LS. 

1 hour ago, Fame said:

Idea seems cool but totally chaps the ass of any players who wpvp and sell the gear on ah to acquire the loot they desire. There is probably only a handful of people who gear up completely without ever going out into the world or a dungeon. I do not think this is a good idea to move forward with at all. Also dramatically limits a players ability to try something new without more of a grind. RE is already enough of a grind for players who wish to change spec and gear sets. 

The thing is, as you world PvP you'd gain decurses for when you want to buy the gear you actually want. As to the grindiness, I think that decurses should be way more prevalent than orbs or runes, but only acquirable through world PvP and Raids.

1 hour ago, Peel2g said:

Enough of this roleplay nonsense and actually focus on important stuff!! Buying gear off of the AH aint none of them since this is one of the big selling Point of LS. 

Well the concept isn't specifically designed to make it so that gear with curses is absolutely unusable. There are ways to work with and around several of the curses I've proposed. For instance, the Hellbitten curse: using a rank 1 spell for instance will deal a very miniscule amount of damage. A lot of the ones I didn't write well though, like Pygmy Hex, which is a big power limitation. Curses should be less of a complete and utter gamebreaker and more of a handicap: you buy a full set of T2 and you'll have to put more effort in to make up for having bought it rather than achieved it. Further, as long as you do world PvP or raid content, you'll be able to buy gear off the AH all you want and use your decurses to work at full capacity. Perhaps the item level threshhold for when an item becomes cursed or not should increase on the release of better and better gear: T1 gear would be curse-free with the release of T2/T2.5 for example.